Re: [FH] need advice re: oxygen, aspirin, atenolol--any or all

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2004
      --- bubblet2002 <bubblet2002@...> wrote:
      > Hi, my 14yr Zoe kitty was diag. w/undetermined heart
      > failure (prob.
      > HCM) following a diag. of hyper-thyr. last Oct? +-.
      > Zoe's h.r. was
      > high so was put on atenolol; she had fluid around
      > heart & lungs so
      > was put on lasix and of course is on methimazole.
      > She seemed to
      > improve hugely the first 3-4 mos. but h.r. up to +-
      > 200 and resp.
      > labored last 3wks.

      I will have to look this up tomorrow but I have seen
      references to using combos of heart meds to achieve
      additional heart rate reduction. Or you can look in
      the links section on Feline Heart and start reading as
      I have put all my feline heart bookmarks in there. I
      would start with the articles by Drs. Fox, Keene,
      Atkins & O'Grady as these are the newest and with some
      of the most detailed info on treatment regimens.

      > Can anybody tell me if she can/should be on aspirin
      > therapy - my
      > historic info says aspirin&cats is NOT DONE!!!

      It is done and most of our cats are on it. The trick
      is every 3rd day or twice a week whichever is easier
      to remember. The dose is 1/2 to 1 whole baby aspirin
      (81 mg>)

      > Re; Atenolol, i just read that it should not be used
      > with congestive
      > heart failure... which i am only assuming Zoe has as
      > her last x-ray
      > showed the fluid (not in lungs, just around). does
      > anybody know what
      > the dosages are for cats?

      Atenolol is more specific than propanolol so that
      warning is more specific to propanolol. Atenolol is
      usually used in asymptomatics. The newest thinking
      based on extensive human studies some vets now believe
      there is sufficient evidence to try the gold standard
      human CHF teratment regimen for dogs and perhaps
      cats. This is a diueretic + ACE-inhibitor +
      beta-blockade regimen. The beta-blockade is added at a
      low dose and then increased gradually.

      When atenolol is added in CHF any links to charts or
      > tables?

      See Drs. Atkins and Keen in the links section.

      Susan

      =====