about my last post and potassium supplementation?

  • bubblet2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
      Just found the info on aspirin!!
      Still need oxygen info.
      AND found disturbing info re: lasix. I had asked my vet if Zoe
      should be supplemented w/potassium but she said only if Z. stopped
      eating, drinking or became dehydrated. BUT doesn't lasix remove the
      potassium regardless and isn't low potassium a cause of heart
      failure?!
      Also, is aspirin contraindicated with atenalol, lasix or methimazole?
      this is so frustrating... guess that's why we're here.
      thanks
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2004
        You have to keep an eye on your cat's electrolyte levels and kidney
        values when on lasix and only supplement if necessary. My cat has
        been on lasix since August of last year - her potassium has been
        fine. It's her kidney values and phosphate level that we've had
        problems with. Any cat on lasix needs to have bloodwork done
        periodically to see where things are.

        Aspirin is not contraindicted with lasix or methimazole as far as I
        know. I don't know about atenolol. Susan?

        Also wanted to mention that you might want to find a cardiologist.
        I think you said in your post that your cat is in CHF and is on
        atenolol. Usually when a cat is in CHF, they are started on an ACE
        inhibitor, and if your cat hasn't had an ultrasound done, it would
        probably be a good idea to have one. Of course, this has to be
        weighed against the stress that a vet visit might cause her, but if
        you can have several things done at once, perhaps you can minimize
        the visits.

        Sarah.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "bubblet2002"
        <bubblet2002@y...> wrote:
        > Just found the info on aspirin!!
        > Still need oxygen info.
        > AND found disturbing info re: lasix. I had asked my vet if Zoe
        > should be supplemented w/potassium but she said only if Z. stopped
        > eating, drinking or became dehydrated. BUT doesn't lasix remove
        the
        > potassium regardless and isn't low potassium a cause of heart
        > failure?!
        > Also, is aspirin contraindicated with atenalol, lasix or
        methimazole?
        > this is so frustrating... guess that's why we're here.
        > thanks
      • Susan
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2004
          --- bubblet2002 <bubblet2002@...> wrote:

          > AND found disturbing info re: lasix. I had asked my
          > vet if Zoe
          > should be supplemented w/potassium but she said only
          > if Z. stopped
          > eating, drinking or became dehydrated.

          From what I have read the eating drinking part is
          correct. That is why in an acute ER situation when a
          cat (but not a dog) is likely to be anorectic that
          cats are more difficult to balance. I think what it
          causes is called hypocalcemia.

          BUT doesn't
          > lasix remove the
          > potassium regardless and isn't low potassium a cause
          > of heart
          > failure?!

          I don't have lasix experience, just know from what I
          have read and managed to comprehend in vet articles.
          But I do know that lasix is supposed to be used at the
          lowest dose that does the job and that monotherapy is
          not reccommended. The majority of the cats who are on
          lasix are on an ACE-inhibitor but HCM is so variable
          and there are so many different classes of drugs all
          of which tweak slightly different parameters there is
          no way any of us can know for sure. My guess is that
          the fast heart rate (tachycardia) is the primary
          rationale for beta-blockade. If an ACE-inhibitor has
          not been added it may be because the vet does not
          believe the reninin angiotensin system has been
          activated.

          > Also, is aspirin contraindicated with atenalol,
          > lasix or methimazole?

          There are too many cats on lasix and aspirin and or
          atenolol for that to be the case. I do not know
          anything about methimazole. There is a Merck
          Veterinary Drug link in the Feline Heart links
          section. I do atenolol in the morning and aspirin on
          Mon. & Thurs. evenings. My cat eats cocktail shrimp
          after all pilling so I know his pills don't get stuck
          and he has never had stomach problems from aspirin,
          maybe because he gets it with shrimp.

          Susan

          =====

        • William Draper
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2004
            - furosemide definitely causes the kidney to excrete potassium. however, since cats are obligate carnivores, they get plenty of potassium from their diet (meat is where we get most of our potassium)
            - low potassium CAN cause heart problems, but high potassium is more dangerous
            - aspirin can be used with any of these drugs, and is very commonly

            bill dvm in 2005
            AND found disturbing info re: lasix. I had asked my vet if Zoe
            should be supplemented w/potassium but she said only if Z. stopped
            eating, drinking or became dehydrated. BUT doesn't lasix remove the
            potassium regardless and isn't low potassium a cause of heart
            failure?!
            Also, is aspirin contraindicated with atenalol, lasix or methimazole?
            this is so frustrating... guess that's why we're here.
            thanks

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor