need advice re: oxygen, aspirin, atenolol--any or all

  • bubblet2002
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2004
      Hi, my 14yr Zoe kitty was diag. w/undetermined heart failure (prob.
      HCM) following a diag. of hyper-thyr. last Oct? +-. Zoe's h.r. was
      high so was put on atenolol; she had fluid around heart & lungs so
      was put on lasix and of course is on methimazole. She seemed to
      improve hugely the first 3-4 mos. but h.r. up to +- 200 and resp.
      labored last 3wks.
      Vet advises no more visits as Zoe is semi-feral and visits are so
      much stress she may arrest ( she exploded last visit during x-ray and
      bit vet tech then had extreme resp/heart stress--recovery took a
      week).
      Can anybody tell me if she can/should be on aspirin therapy - my
      historic info says aspirin&cats is NOT DONE!!! but i thought i heard
      it could be in correct dosage???
      I have set up an oxygen booth for her and used it 3-4 times.. but
      don't know how much or how often (we use a welding-tank set up) I
      dont' understand the gauges.
      Re; Atenolol, i just read that it should not be used with congestive
      heart failure... which i am only assuming Zoe has as her last x-ray
      showed the fluid (not in lungs, just around). does anybody know what
      the dosages are for cats? any links to charts or tables?
      My vet has been great, but seems to have given up on Zoe... she
      didn't really expect Z. to last this long after her explosion in the
      X-ray room in Jan. Now she just tells me "..it's remarkable you've
      brought her this far.." and orders me an open Rx on all Z.'s drugs.

      I don't want to hold on to Zoe artifically if she's not enjoying
      life, but she jumps on my lap, enjoys her food and functions pretty
      well aside from being tired more often... I just want to give her all
      the help i can til she decides to leave.
      any help will be so appreciated.
      phyllis & zoe
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2004
        --- bubblet2002 <bubblet2002@...> wrote:
        > Hi, my 14yr Zoe kitty was diag. w/undetermined heart
        > failure (prob.
        > HCM) following a diag. of hyper-thyr. last Oct? +-.
        > Zoe's h.r. was
        > high so was put on atenolol; she had fluid around
        > heart & lungs so
        > was put on lasix and of course is on methimazole.
        > She seemed to
        > improve hugely the first 3-4 mos. but h.r. up to +-
        > 200 and resp.
        > labored last 3wks.

        I will have to look this up tomorrow but I have seen
        references to using combos of heart meds to achieve
        additional heart rate reduction. Or you can look in
        the links section on Feline Heart and start reading as
        I have put all my feline heart bookmarks in there. I
        would start with the articles by Drs. Fox, Keene,
        Atkins & O'Grady as these are the newest and with some
        of the most detailed info on treatment regimens.

        > Can anybody tell me if she can/should be on aspirin
        > therapy - my
        > historic info says aspirin&cats is NOT DONE!!!

        It is done and most of our cats are on it. The trick
        is every 3rd day or twice a week whichever is easier
        to remember. The dose is 1/2 to 1 whole baby aspirin
        (81 mg>)

        > Re; Atenolol, i just read that it should not be used
        > with congestive
        > heart failure... which i am only assuming Zoe has as
        > her last x-ray
        > showed the fluid (not in lungs, just around). does
        > anybody know what
        > the dosages are for cats?

        Atenolol is more specific than propanolol so that
        warning is more specific to propanolol. Atenolol is
        usually used in asymptomatics. The newest thinking
        based on extensive human studies some vets now believe
        there is sufficient evidence to try the gold standard
        human CHF teratment regimen for dogs and perhaps
        cats. This is a diueretic + ACE-inhibitor +
        beta-blockade regimen. The beta-blockade is added at a
        low dose and then increased gradually.

        When atenolol is added in CHF any links to charts or
        > tables?

        See Drs. Atkins and Keen in the links section.

        Susan

        =====