Re: [FH] HCM and Urinary Tract Infection

  • Sara
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2 2:08 PM
      Thanks everyone for your responses and info...here's an update

      Update on Toby - I was up again all night last night he was going in and out of the box, so at 2am I tried locking him in the bathroom with the litterbox with the plastic pebbles and he cried and cried to get out. But I had to keep him there for his own good. So finally at 4:30 I couldnt stand it anymore and I went to check on him and he left a sample!! So I brought it in first thing this morning and they called back and its definitly an infection. They said to call back and get another week of Clavamox, so I'm crossing my fingers this will work. He was going in and out less today, so I think he's getting better!

      Savionna@... wrote:
      Hi Sara,

      In a message dated 4/1/04 8:32:55 AM, sara5266@... writes:

      << I believe Toby might have a urinary tract infection. Yesterday morning he
      went to his box about 10 times in about 2 hours and didnt do anything. >>

      There are various contributing factors to excessive and/or strained
      urination. One of them is a *bacterial* infection, generally in the lower urinary tract
      (but also in the upper). Others include sterile cystitis (that is,
      inflammation without an infection) and crystals/stones.

      << I called the vet and they were worried it could be a blockage. >>

      That is always a concern when an animal can't pee.

      << I wanted to be safe than sorry so I brought him in and it wasnt a
      blockage, and gave him some antibiotics and said to get a sample to his vet for a
      possible infection. >>

      They started antibx *before* getting a sample? That may make it more
      difficult to detect bacteria in the urine.

      Some other important parameters to look at on the urinalysis besides the
      bacteria are blood, protein, RBC, WBC, pH, crystals, and specific gravity. If the
      symptoms persist after a full course of a broad-spectrum antibx, then it may
      be worthwhile for the vet to draw urine (called cystocentesis) for a sterile
      sample...and have that tested in a culture + sensitivity.

      << Is there any correlation with his HCM and a urinary tract infection? >>

      I can't say specifically whether there is some relationship in Toby
      specifically between his heart and urinary tract, but there are various contributing
      factors to urinary tract disorders, whether that disorder involves bacteria or
      not. Some contributing factors include diet (a dry, carbohydrate-heavy,
      plant-based food is more likely to elevate urinary pH and contribute to a
      concentrated, rather than a dilute, urine b/c of its dehydrating effect...and also
      provide food for bacteria); "stress" (which incorporates a broad range of potential
      issues that are stressful to the *cat*, even if they don't seem stressful to
      the human); and other health disorders, such as diabetes.

      << Isnt there a type of heart disese that can affect the kidneys? >>

      Just in general, the entire body works in unison. So anything that affects
      one "part" potentially affects the whole system.

      << I read some posts regarding kidney problems. >>

      Some cats suffering from heart disorders also have a kidney disorder, such as
      chronic renal failure. "Kidney problems" are not necessarily the same issue
      as "urinary tract infection" (altho an infection in the kidneys can manifest as
      the symptoms you described). // Rosemary