Re: [feline-heart] Digest Number 233

  • J. Z.
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2001
      Melinda, I hadn't realized just how obsessive I was about Ollie until after
      he was gone. For an entire year, it was how does he look? How's his
      weight? Does he still have his "cat bag?" Is he playing? How much has he
      eaten? What will he eat? When should I give him his medicine? Should I do
      both at once or split it up? Did I close off the basement so he can't hide?
      Do I need to renew the prescription? What if I have to go out of town?
      Can Steve handle it alone? Then there's the Buying of the Cat Food. He
      likes this. He doesn't like that. Whiskas Mealtime is his favorite. He
      won't eat Whiskas with Veal. Should I use the A&P coupon and buy 24 jars of
      baby food this week?

      Then, after he was gone, there was all this TIME and ENERGY that had been
      spent on this was all just THERE, and I didn't know what to do with myself.

      So yes, I do understand.

      Pongo is at a ripe old age, and he's put up a really good fight. I know
      we'd like to believe they might go on forever, but they don't. And I'll bet
      you end up with the same situation we had, where something else gets him.

      Can you try to just enjoy the time you have with him? I know it's hard, but
      one thing I've learned from losing two cats and a stepfather within 3 weeks
      of each other: What's going to happen is going to happen. It's what we do
      in the meantime that matters.

      Jill