HCM and Urinary Tract Infection

  • Sara
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
      I believe Toby might have a urinary tract infection. Yesterday morning he went to his box about 10 times in about 2 hours and didnt do anything. I called the vet and they were worried it could be a blockage. I wanted to be safe than sorry so I brought him in and it wasnt a blockage, and gave him some antibiotics and said to get a sample to his vet for a possible infection. Again this morning he started at 5am going to the box every 5 mins, pawing around. I saw some little clumps so I think he may be producing something. So today he is locked in the bathroom with his litter box with the plastic pebbles they gave me so hopefully I'll get a sample today, at least he is on some meds now.

      Is there any correlation with his HCM and a urinary tract infection? Isnt there a type of heart disese that can affect the kidneys? CHF or something??? I read some posts regarding kidney problems.

      Thanks,
      Sara

    • Sarah McCoy
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
        Hi Sara,
        I don't know if anyone has responded to you yet, so I will jump in and tell you what I know. CHF does not, in itself, cause kidney problems. The medications (specifically, diuretics) taken to treat CHF are what can lead to kidney problems. This is not to say that Toby doesn't have kidney failure, but unless he's taking diuretics for his HCM, it isn't related to his heart issues.

        regards,
        Sarah & Angel Piglet, whom I miss more every day
      • Susan
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
          --- Sarah McCoy <sarahjmccoy_sj@...> wrote:
          > Hi Sara,
          > I don't know if anyone has responded to you yet, so
          > I will jump in and tell you what I know. CHF does
          > not, in itself, cause kidney problems. The
          > medications (specifically, diuretics) taken to treat
          > CHF are what can lead to kidney problems. This is
          > not to say that Toby doesn't have kidney failure,
          > but unless he's taking diuretics for his HCM, it
          > isn't related to his heart issues.
          >
          > regards,
          > Sarah & Angel Piglet, whom I miss more every day

          Just another reminder to use "chart notes/sigs" at the
          bottom of all emails where info like treatment regimen
          and diagnosis are important to know. For example see
          below:

          =====