Re: [FH] Re: Upset after the Vet

  • Chris Martin
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2004
      On Wednesday, March 31, 2004, at 03:28 PM, Heather Grace wrote:

      > A few weeks ago I rescued a feral cat and I got him neutered. I was
      > planning on releasing him, but then I had a change of heart and
      > decided to keep him. He's been loose in my bedroom and he's spent
      > most of that time hiding under my bed. The other day I thought I had
      > made a mistake keeping him and that I should have let him go. Well,
      > wouldn't you know all of a sudden he started getting bolder and
      > coming out from under the bed while I was in the room! He's still
      > afraid of me and I know we have a ways to go, but I think he's making
      > some progress. I really think that our attitudes and feelings make a
      > big difference in our cats' lives.

      Hooray for you, taking in a feral cat!!!!!

      I live with 15 ferals, all in my home. (Long story.) Some tamed up
      pretty quickly, considering they were already young adults when we
      trapped them. One of them (4.5 mos. at capture) has won rosettes at
      cat shows. He's a pretty special guy.
      After 3 years, just letting them hide when they want and not pushing
      things with them, there are still three we will probably never be able
      to touch (too bad--Hera, one of them, is a LH tortie with a beautiful
      aristocratic manner. I want SO MUCH to just touch her beautiful coat
      :-/ ) There are a couple of others whom we can pet while they eat.
      Two of the girls, who were sure we were the spawn of Satan at first,
      took about 2.5 years to come around. They sleep with us and let us do
      most things to them, like pet, pick up, trim nails.

      They are a real treasure. You should get a few more <G>

      Chris
      "Old age is not a disease; it is a stage of life."
    • Sara
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 5:30 AM
        I believe Toby might have a urinary tract infection. Yesterday morning he went to his box about 10 times in about 2 hours and didnt do anything. I called the vet and they were worried it could be a blockage. I wanted to be safe than sorry so I brought him in and it wasnt a blockage, and gave him some antibiotics and said to get a sample to his vet for a possible infection. Again this morning he started at 5am going to the box every 5 mins, pawing around. I saw some little clumps so I think he may be producing something. So today he is locked in the bathroom with his litter box with the plastic pebbles they gave me so hopefully I'll get a sample today, at least he is on some meds now.

        Is there any correlation with his HCM and a urinary tract infection? Isnt there a type of heart disese that can affect the kidneys? CHF or something??? I read some posts regarding kidney problems.

        Thanks,
        Sara

      • Sarah McCoy
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1 8:42 PM
          Hi Sara,
          I don't know if anyone has responded to you yet, so I will jump in and tell you what I know. CHF does not, in itself, cause kidney problems. The medications (specifically, diuretics) taken to treat CHF are what can lead to kidney problems. This is not to say that Toby doesn't have kidney failure, but unless he's taking diuretics for his HCM, it isn't related to his heart issues.

          regards,
          Sarah & Angel Piglet, whom I miss more every day
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2 6:58 AM
            --- Sarah McCoy <sarahjmccoy_sj@...> wrote:
            > Hi Sara,
            > I don't know if anyone has responded to you yet, so
            > I will jump in and tell you what I know. CHF does
            > not, in itself, cause kidney problems. The
            > medications (specifically, diuretics) taken to treat
            > CHF are what can lead to kidney problems. This is
            > not to say that Toby doesn't have kidney failure,
            > but unless he's taking diuretics for his HCM, it
            > isn't related to his heart issues.
            >
            > regards,
            > Sarah & Angel Piglet, whom I miss more every day

            Just another reminder to use "chart notes/sigs" at the
            bottom of all emails where info like treatment regimen
            and diagnosis are important to know. For example see
            below:

            =====