Stethoscope for home use...

  • Dee Dalton
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2004
      Can anyone tell me your experience with buying and using a stethoscope
      at home to help monitor your cats' hearts?

      My boy has mild to moderate HCM with a grade III systolic apical murmur
      (caused by outflow obstruction). I am thinking of buying a Littmann
      steth--either a 'master cardiology' or 'electronic 4000' and I would
      like some advice from people who have used these or other models at
      home. The cost of the 4000 model is $450, so I welcome any guidance
      regarding where to purchase as well. In addition, please tell me what
      works better for large Maine Coon boys--a pediatric or adult chest
      piece?

      Have your cats benefitted from your use of a steth, or does it give you
      comfort personally?

      If you recommend a different brand or model, please let me know. Any
      advice (positive or negative) is welcome.

      Thanks,
      Dee Dalton
    • Sara

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
          I got a stethoscope at a garage sale for 1.00.I NEVER thought I would
          have a use for it.When Sttamps was diagnosed I was glad I had it to
          check her heart rate.Pam MacVittie
        • goldengirlgene
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 2004
            I bought a Master Cardiology stethoscope directly from Littmann about
            13 years ago, paid about $180, but I'm sure with the internet there
            are better prices now. If you don't mind spending the money, I would
            recommend it. It's easy to use because you don't have to turn it over
            and the acoustics are excellent. I have the pediatric attachment,
            but have never really had to use it. The earpieces fit well
            (important). Some people have a better ear than others, too, and
            try to do some reading on auscultation, it will be helpful.
            As for the other model, sounds pretty high-tech, I don't know
            anything about it.
            I've had two Maine Coons with HCM, the girl had a gallop rhythm and
            pretty severe, rapidly progressing disease at a young age, but her
            murmur was very faint and the cardiologist could only hear it on one
            of his three stethoscopes. The boy wasn't diagnosed until 7-1/2
            years old, just SAM and enlarged papillary muscles, but his murmur
            was louder, initially grade IV, although at times with medication
            (atenolol) he had no murmur, mostly grade II.
            Marcia
            -- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Dee Dalton <dee.dalton@m...>
            wrote:
            I am thinking of buying a Littmann
            > steth--either a 'master cardiology' or 'electronic 4000' and I would
            > like some advice from people who have used these or other models at
            > home. The cost of the 4000 model is $450, so I welcome any guidance
            > regarding where to purchase as well. In addition, please tell me
            what
            > works better for large Maine Coon boys--a pediatric or adult chest
            > piece?
            .
            .
            .