Re: [FH] natural remedies and diet information needed for feline heart diesease

  • William Draper
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2004
      cardiomyopathy is not a specific disease, but a category of pathologies
      (dilated and hypertrophic). hyperthyroidism generally leads to hypertrophic
      cardiomyopathy. this is when the heart wall of (usually) the left ventricle
      gets thicker and more muscular (concentric hypertrophy). this means less
      blood can get into the ventricle to be pumped out, backing up in the heart
      and eventually causing left atrial dilation. this dilation can eventually
      lead to turbulent blood flow and creation of a thrombus. this is the
      infamous "saddle" thrombus that gets caught in the terminal aorta and blocks
      blood to the hind limbs. there is a defined treatment for HCM. the first
      thing you want to do is slow down the heart and make it beat weaker. we do
      this with one of 2 classes of drugs: beta receptor blockers [selective
      beta-2 (atenolol) or non-selective (propanolol)] or calcium channel blockers
      (usually) diltiazem. the second thing you want to do is decrease the tone
      of the systemic blood vessels so the heart can get more blood out (basically
      make the "hose" bigger). this is done with an ACE inhibitor (enalapril is
      one). also, we want to decrease circulatory volume. this is done with a
      diuretic (furosemide). if the cat is advanced enough to be worried about
      thrombi forming, we can use a low dose of aspirin to inhibit clotting.

      bill
      dvm in 2005

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28, 2004
        --- William Draper <wedraper@...> wrote:
        hyperthyroidism
        > generally leads to hypertrophic
        > cardiomyopathy. >
        > bill
        > dvm in 2005

        Bill,

        Does treating the hyperthyroidism result in a
        remission of the HCM?

        Susan

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      • William Draper
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 29, 2004
          with proper treatment, these cats can have a great quality of life. enjoy
          the fact you have decided to give Jax a few more years than he would have
          gotten in a less caring household. just like a mom with any special-needs
          child, it takes some work to make sure your kid gets the best possible
          chance at a normal life.

          bill
          dvm in 2005
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30, 2004
            Hi bj,

            In a message dated 3/25/04 8:02:13 PM, nadjabaja@... writes:

            << does anyone have

            information about natural remedies such as hawthorn? i have read that

            it can be very helpful. >>

            Hawthorn (both the herbal form and the homeopathic remedy Crataegus
            oxyacantha) *may* be helpful depending on the cat. Complementary techniques are
            individual to the animal; they don't really treat the "disease" per se. So, the best
            way to find out if they are appropriate for the cat is to work with an
            experienced holistic vet. There is a directory here:
            www.ahvma.org/referral/index.html.

            << also what sort of food should i give her? >>

            All cats, with very few exceptions, require the same nutrition: a
            high-quality ("quality" in the nutritional sense), well-balanced, low-carbohydrate,
            meat-based diet. There are various ways to provide the nutrients a cat needs, such
            as feeding typical prey animals, feeding a raw or homemade diet, or feeding
            the best-quality canned product that is available, affordable, and palatable to
            the cat. For information on the unique nutritional needs of cats, see:

            1. www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
            2. www.speedyvet.com/nutrition
            3. http://home.earthlink.net/~jacm2/id1.html
            4. www.homevet.com/petcare/feedingyourcat.html
            5. www.drsfostersmith.com/general.cfm?siteid=0&gid=74&ref=2066&subref=AN

            Some quality canned brands incl: Wellness, www.oldmotherhubbard.com; Nature's
            Variety, www.naturesvariety.com; PetGuard, www.petguard.com; Felidae,
            www.canidae.com; Natural Balance, www.naturalbalanceinc.com; Innova,
            www.naturapet.com; and Eagle Pack, www.eaglepack.com. See websites for store locators and
            ingredients.

            << royal canin makes some varieties with lower salt. >>

            Royal Canin makes dry products. There are a number of potential health
            problems associated with feeding a dry, high-carbohydrate, plant-based diet to a
            cat, which is an *obligate carnivore*. That means, a cat must consume nutrients
            contained in meat to survive (info on that is in the links above). Further,
            manipulating the ingredients to achieve a certain goal, such as reducing sodium,
            may result in a product whose nutrients are not balanced and do not meet the
            unique nutritional needs of a cat...leaving aside whether it's even desirable
            to reduce sodium in an individual cat.

            << what about taurine supplements? >>

            Taurine is an amino-acid "relative" that is an essential nutrient for cats.
            It can also support the health of the heart.

            << giving her the pills is sometimes a trial and i

            don't want to stress her out more. >>

            If you think the cat needs supplemental taurine, it is available in capsule
            form. The powder is relatively tasteless, so it can often be mixed, in a
            desired amt, into a moist food (whether a canned food, baby food, etc). // Rosemary