RE: [feline-heart] Worried Catmom Syndrome

  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
      Oh Laura, you must have the makings of a saint! I am a wreck with just six
      years of this....how do you manage!

      Linda

      From: brunobaby@... <brunobaby@...>
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, February 02, 2001 2:07 PM
      Subject: [feline-heart] Worried Catmom Syndrome

      >Pongo's still holding steady. Inderal seems to be his drug of choice.
      >If he keeps holding steady/improving, he has a follow-up appointment
      >for another EKG a week from tomorrow.
      >
      >Meanwhile, I've been obsessively comparing his eating and sleeping
      >habits and appearance now with a week ago, a month ago and a year
      >ago. The mildest variation in any of these has me in a state of
      >temporary panic until I'm sure he's not having another attack and
      >until he gives me a really annoyed look. <G>
      >
      >Now, I know that it's miraculous that he's still here. I knew when I
      >got him that the inevitable would happen one day, unless science has
      >come up with a bionic cat. I know that this tension is irrational,
      >but that doesn't stop me.
      >
      >Has anyone else had a cat who survived a serious complication from a
      >serious disease -- heart, kidney, etc. -- and felt that way?
      >
      >My instincts told me loud and clear last Friday morning that
      >something was wrong, and I'm sure they'll tell me again, without the
      >panic reflex getting in my way. No sense in us both having a heart
      >attack.
      >
      >--Melinda

    • Laura Penny
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
        Here's another obsessive thing I've done: When we knew Kassy was going to
        pull through at age 1 (after they told us she was "extremely critical" and
        there was "a slim chance" she'd survive the night), I figured, "OK, I'll be
        happy if she makes it to the average cat lifespan of 15."

        So I started counting back from 15 to see how many years she could possibly
        have left.

        Now I'm at negative 1.5! I've never had a cat live this long...and now I
        have two 16.5 year olds. As my husband said, those cats live "charmed
        lives."

        Laura, Lucky, and Kassy
      • Voula Augerinos
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
          Dear Laura,
          oh we are kindred spirits!

          http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
          (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

          ----------
          > From: Laura Penny <lepenny@...>
          > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [feline-heart] Worried Catmom Syndrome
          > Date: Saturday, 03 February , 2001 14:18
          >
          > Here's another obsessive thing I've done: When we knew Kassy was going to
          > pull through at age 1 (after they told us she was "extremely critical"
          and
          > there was "a slim chance" she'd survive the night), I figured, "OK, I'll
          be
          > happy if she makes it to the average cat lifespan of 15."
          >
          > So I started counting back from 15 to see how many years she could
          possibly
          > have left.
          >
          > Now I'm at negative 1.5! I've never had a cat live this long...and now I
          > have two 16.5 year olds. As my husband said, those cats live "charmed
          > lives."
          >
          > Laura, Lucky, and Kassy

        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
            i enjoyed reading this...thx for sharing!

            linda and the boys

          • jwarner310@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
              I have to be certain that I am counted in the worrying cat moms too!
              I can keep right up with the rest of you and I haven't even had a
              problem with Dom so far! By the time that we get to the point where
              you guys have all been, I won't have a hair left on my head! LOL

              I, too cater to the Doms every whim and alot of whims that he doesn't
              even have! I never go out without having a radio playing for him. We
              have the lights all on timers so Dom isn't in the dark. Plus I have
              not spent the night away from him in over a year. DH has 2
              overnighters planned this spring and I am struggling to tell myself
              that it will be fine even when I have my son coming in twice a day to
              give Dom his meds etc. I watch the poor guy like a hawk and call the
              vet any time that I think I see anything out of the norm. Thank
              heavens my regular vet is very tolerant and concerned about Dom too!
              I think he is her only feline cardiac patient right now!

              I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
              having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
              to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
              would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>

              Off to relax!
              Jeanne

              --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
              > i enjoyed reading this...thx for sharing!
              >
              > linda and the boys

            • Voula Augerinos
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
                Dear Jeanne,
                I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned a day of
                no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will return
                the favour of course!

              • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
                  Gee, wouldn't that be great if we actually could do that? And
                  wouldn't it be nice if we all lived in the same neighborhood so we
                  could watch over each others cats? Gee, I would love to sit with
                  Pebbles, Pum, Pongo, Kassy, Angel Lynx, Angel Sachie, and all of the
                  others I read about on the list! And I may actually stop calling home
                  and talking to the answering machine so Dom can hear my voice if I
                  thought 1 of you fellow worrying cat moms was in charge. <G> I trust
                  my son but he is 27 and not Doms favorite person since he only sees
                  him infrequently. Plus he is not into the "cardiac cat" as he calls
                  Dom. He just doesn't get it! I do have a letter on file at my vets
                  office with my wishes outlined if something should happen to Dom
                  while I am away though. I also have a copy here in case he should
                  need to be taken to the emergency vet who wouldn't have acess to my
                  vets letter immediately. I am prepared! Sort of like a living will
                  for Dom--I know I have lost it! But, I feel better this way! Did any
                  of you do this too?

                  Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
                  always available!

                  Jeanne

                  --- In feline-heart@y..., "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...> wrote:
                  > Dear Jeanne,
                  > I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned
                  a day of
                  > no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will
                  return
                  > the favour of course!
                  > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
                  >
                  > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                  > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
                  >
                  > > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                  > > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be
                  glad
                  > > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                  > > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                  > >
                  > > Off to relax!
                  > > Jeanne
                • Voula Augerinos
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
                    Hi Jeanne,
                    what an excellent idea to have instructions filed at your vets in case
                    you are away.
                    I think I will let you know a day when I need some stress relief. I
                    mean most days I need stress relief! LOL! But I will wait for a day when I
                    could do with it even more!

                    http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                    (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

                    > Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
                    > always available!
                    >
                    > Jeanne
                  • Laura Penny
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
                      Jeanne,

                      We did the "living will" thing when we went on our honeymoon 14 years ago.
                      We specified that they should receive any care necessary, but no euthanasia
                      until we were contacted to discuss the situation.

                      We also did our real will just before we left. We specified the type of care
                      the cats should get, the guardian (my mom), and the amount of money. They
                      get the first chunk of money.

                      Wanna hear the really sad part? We now have two children (and another pet),
                      but haven't updated our will. We just can't decide on an appropriate
                      guardian. So I guess the cats will be swimming in dough and pay for
                      Courtney, Jon, and Nicky.

                      We REALLY need to get our acts together, especially since we're thinking of
                      adopting a baby this year!

                      Laura, nonworried humanmom

                    • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
                        Laura,

                        I love it! The cats are provided for and not the human children--oh
                        well, like you said the cats will take good care of them! LOL

                        So cute!!

                        Jeanne

                      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                          hi jeanne,

                          well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in france
                          this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine leaving pum
                          with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to suggest
                          "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i would
                          never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a friend who
                          will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as far as i'm
                          considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be sure he's
                          ok....

                          and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my hair
                          ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!

                          purrs to you,

                          linda and the boys

                          I have to be certain that I am counted in the worrying cat moms too!
                          I can keep right up with the rest of you and I haven't even had a
                          problem with Dom so far! By the time that we get to the point where
                          you guys have all been, I won't have a hair left on my head! LOL

                          I, too cater to the Doms every whim and alot of whims that he doesn't
                          even have! I never go out without having a radio playing for him. We
                          have the lights all on timers so Dom isn't in the dark. Plus I have
                          not spent the night away from him in over a year. DH has 2
                          overnighters planned this spring and I am struggling to tell myself
                          that it will be fine even when I have my son coming in twice a day to
                          give Dom his meds etc. I watch the poor guy like a hawk and call the
                          vet any time that I think I see anything out of the norm. Thank
                          heavens my regular vet is very tolerant and concerned about Dom too!
                          I think he is her only feline cardiac patient right now!

                          I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                          having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
                          to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                          would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>

                          Off to relax!
                          Jeanne

                          --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                          > i enjoyed reading this...thx for sharing!
                          >
                          > linda and the boys

                        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                            ooooooohhhhhhhhhh, pls include me.....

                            linda

                            I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned a day of
                            no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will return
                            the favour of course!

                            http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                            (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

                            > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                            > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
                            > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                            > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                            >
                            > Off to relax!
                            > Jeanne

                          • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                              oooohhhh, this sounds great...what about someone pitching the idea for a pet
                              friendly retirement community of pet lovers or else we could just make a
                              list of where we all live and if we had to "go away" for some reason, we
                              could babysit each other's pet if we are close enough to each other?? i
                              guess i don't count, being in jamaica....but wouldn't that be a neat thing
                              to be able to do...???? any ideas?? and with time the list might
                              grow....didn't someone in seattle area have this kind of thing being set
                              up??? i'm pretty sure that i saw it about a year in some posting...

                              linda

                              Gee, wouldn't that be great if we actually could do that? And
                              wouldn't it be nice if we all lived in the same neighborhood so we
                              could watch over each others cats? Gee, I would love to sit with
                              Pebbles, Pum, Pongo, Kassy, Angel Lynx, Angel Sachie, and all of the
                              others I read about on the list! And I may actually stop calling home
                              and talking to the answering machine so Dom can hear my voice if I
                              thought 1 of you fellow worrying cat moms was in charge. <G> I trust
                              my son but he is 27 and not Doms favorite person since he only sees
                              him infrequently. Plus he is not into the "cardiac cat" as he calls
                              Dom. He just doesn't get it! I do have a letter on file at my vets
                              office with my wishes outlined if something should happen to Dom
                              while I am away though. I also have a copy here in case he should
                              need to be taken to the emergency vet who wouldn't have acess to my
                              vets letter immediately. I am prepared! Sort of like a living will
                              for Dom--I know I have lost it! But, I feel better this way! Did any
                              of you do this too?

                              Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
                              always available!

                              Jeanne

                              --- In feline-heart@y..., "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...> wrote:
                              > Dear Jeanne,
                              > I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned
                              a day of
                              > no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will
                              return
                              > the favour of course!
                              > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
                              >
                              > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                              > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
                              >
                              > > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                              > > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be
                              glad
                              > > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                              > > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                              > >
                              > > Off to relax!
                              > > Jeanne

                            • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                well, i'm impressed...i don't know what to do about pumpkin being in our
                                situation...any suggestions?

                                linda

                              • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                  Hi Linda!

                                  Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                  fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                  on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                  but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                  They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                  to anyone of us!

                                  Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                  does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                  awhile!

                                • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                    Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                                    best!

                                    Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                    fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                    on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                    but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                    They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                    to anyone of us!

                                    Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                    does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                    awhile!

                                    Jeanne

                                    --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                                    > hi jeanne,
                                    >
                                    > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                                    france
                                    > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                                    leaving pum
                                    > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                                    suggest
                                    > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                                    would
                                    > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                                    friend who
                                    > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                                    far as i'm
                                    > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                                    sure he's
                                    > ok....
                                    >
                                    > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                                    hair
                                    > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                                    >
                                    > purrs to you,
                                    >
                                    > linda and the boys

                                  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 7, 2001
                                      i personally like to eat nutella right out of the jar....yes, i know that's
                                      awful!....to me the best is being able to buy hot chestnuts on a cold, cold
                                      day when you're walking around the city....in Paris my favorite forever
                                      place to go is outside Pere LaChaise cemetery, buy the chestnuts and then go
                                      walking....did you know that Jim Morrison is buried there...ok, this isn't a
                                      feline topic but it's good therapy for this worried mom....

                                      purrzles to you,
                                      linda and the boys

                                      Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                                      best!

                                      Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                      fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                      on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                      but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                      They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                      to anyone of us!

                                      Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                      does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                      awhile!

                                      Jeanne

                                      --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                                      > hi jeanne,
                                      >
                                      > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                                      france
                                      > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                                      leaving pum
                                      > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                                      suggest
                                      > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                                      would
                                      > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                                      friend who
                                      > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                                      far as i'm
                                      > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                                      sure he's
                                      > ok....
                                      >
                                      > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                                      hair
                                      > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                                      >
                                      > purrs to you,
                                      >
                                      > linda and the boys

                                    • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                        When I went to France at age 15 I specifically "made" my exchange family
                                        take me to see Jim's grave!

                                        Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                                        best!

                                        Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                        fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                        on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                        but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                        They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                        to anyone of us!

                                        Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                        does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                        awhile!

                                        Jeanne

                                        --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                                        > hi jeanne,
                                        >
                                        > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                                        france
                                        > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                                        leaving pum
                                        > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                                        suggest
                                        > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                                        would
                                        > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                                        friend who
                                        > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                                        far as i'm
                                        > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                                        sure he's
                                        > ok....
                                        >
                                        > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                                        hair
                                        > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                                        >
                                        > purrs to you,
                                        >
                                        > linda and the boys

                                      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                          it's an amazing place.....

                                        • brunobaby@earthlink.net
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                            Karen wrote:

                                            > When I went to France at age 15 I specifically "made" my exchange
                                            >family take me [to Pere Lachaise cemetary] to see Jim's grave!

                                            I was there in '87. There were young people from all over the world
                                            having sort of a picnic there. There were a couple of students from
                                            Germany who didn't understand a lot of English, but they
                                            understood "I went down to the kitchen and got myself some beer."

                                            To bring this back around to cats, <G> mine were young at the time,
                                            and problem-free, with my next-door neighbor checking in on them a
                                            couple of times a day while I was on vacation. However, Pongo would
                                            still leave mementoes around the house for me to find when I got
                                            back, to show me exactly what he thought about "deserting" him.

                                            While in England and France, I bought a couple of cans of cat food,
                                            not so much to feed to my cats but so that I could show
                                            people, "Look, I've got cat food from France." After a few of days of
                                            hauling them around in my backpack, I realized how inane this idea
                                            was, and just saved the labels instead.

                                            I still have the label from "Spillers Kattomeat with Rabbit," because
                                            it has a white cat on the label who looks like Phoebe.

                                            Karen, thanks for all the vet info.

                                            --Melinda