Re: [feline-heart] Worried Catmom Syndrome

  • Voula Augerinos
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
      Dear Laura and Melinda,
      may I join the Worried Club? Oh Laura, you do win I think! Fifteen
      years is a massive achievement. LOL! I have been worried about Pebbles for
      three and a half years! Oh to match your years of obsession! LOL! That
      would mean I could have Pebbles for another decade at least! But you are
      right too, if it weren't for our obsessing our cats may not be with us
      still.

      http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
      (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

      ----------
      > From: Laura Penny <lepenny@...>
      > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [feline-heart] Worried Catmom Syndrome
      > Date: Saturday, 03 February , 2001 7:21
      >
      > Melinda,
      >
      > Perhaps you did not read about me in the Guinness Book of World Records?
      > believe I hold the record for longest obsession about a living cat! I've
      > been totally obsessed with Kassy's every move since she almost died of an
      > unknown malady (poisoning plus drug reaction, perhaps) at age 1.5. That
      was
      > 15 years ago!
      >
      > I'm ashamed to say the obsessiveness has gotten really bad! Sometimes I
      let
      > my husband check on her because I'm afraid of what I'll find...and I do
      find
      > stuff. Yesterday it was a bump under her chin...so I rushed her to the
      vet
      > and found out it's most likely a flareup of her acne (not cancer as I
      > naturally assumed). Before Christmas it was the lump on her shoulder.
      That
      > was scary, but it was scar tissue from a previous benign lump removal.
      >
      > Yet if it weren't for my diligence, we would not have diagnosed her HCM,
      > CRF, hyperT, feline acne, allergies, and fatty cysts, and we would have
      had
      > many more incidences of eating ribbon.
      >
      > Sometimes I feel like I need to protect her from my obsessiveness so I
      don't
      > drive her absolutely nuts (and drive her to the vet for yet another
      visit),
      > yet I know that I've played a big part in keeping her alive all these
      years.

      > I think what you're going thru with Pongo is very common, at least on
      *this
      > list*. I'm just so happy he's still with you.
      >
      > Laura, the neurotic obsessive-compulsive catmom
      >
      > P.S. I *never* obsess about Lucky (cat), Nicky (dog), Courtney (human
      > daughter), or Jonathan (human son).

    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
        Does anyone else feel like this? Absolutely not. We're all completely calm
        & objective about our cats & never obsess about their symptoms.

        Not. I suspect many of us are exactly like this. After Lynx threw his 2nd
        blood clot, I was compeletly obsessed with checking his toes for
        temperature. Lynx was a very sweet cat. But I was feeling his toes so
        often that he actually snapped at me once. That was when I knew I had gone
        too far.

        I did manage to calm down some & start to trust my instincts, as opposed to
        every little (often imagined) detail. But it is so very difficult ...

      • Voula Augerinos
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
          Hi Jonathan,
          when I first joined the feline heart group I remember your messages of
          support about my worry over Pebbles. Thank you again. I remember thinking
          you must be a very calm person. But now I see the truth comes out! You too
          are a member of the Worried club, and just as obsessive. Hahahaha! Wow!
          That makes me feel so good! LOL!

        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
            Oh god, I have often thought that I need to take tranquilizers or something
            to manage to deal with Pumpkin's condition. I obsess endlessly and can't
            tell you how many sleepless nights I have had about him....I have cried so
            much in the vet's office that they've told me to bring my own boxes of
            kleenex (jokingly....but....)

            Now that I'm not working I spend hours cuddling him and playing with
            him....I watch his movements obsessively....I'm a wreck whenever he seems
            out of sorts...When we were in Chile, I would call my housekeeper at least a
            dozen times each day whenever I thought something might not be quite right
            with him! She doted on him like an invalid....and he loved it! Now we have a
            housekeeper in Jamaica bec I don't want him to have to be alone when I'm out
            just in case something should happen (I certainly don't need one for any
            other reason)!

            Do I sound like a crazy person: sometimes I think I am!

            Your friendly overly obsessive compulsive webmate,
            Linda

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
              Oh Laura, you must have the makings of a saint! I am a wreck with just six
              years of this....how do you manage!

              Linda

              >Pongo's still holding steady. Inderal seems to be his drug of choice.
              >If he keeps holding steady/improving, he has a follow-up appointment
              >for another EKG a week from tomorrow.
              >
              >Meanwhile, I've been obsessively comparing his eating and sleeping
              >habits and appearance now with a week ago, a month ago and a year
              >ago. The mildest variation in any of these has me in a state of
              >temporary panic until I'm sure he's not having another attack and
              >until he gives me a really annoyed look. <G>
              >
              >Now, I know that it's miraculous that he's still here. I knew when I
              >got him that the inevitable would happen one day, unless science has
              >come up with a bionic cat. I know that this tension is irrational,
              >but that doesn't stop me.
              >
              >Has anyone else had a cat who survived a serious complication from a
              >serious disease -- heart, kidney, etc. -- and felt that way?
              >
              >My instincts told me loud and clear last Friday morning that
              >something was wrong, and I'm sure they'll tell me again, without the
              >panic reflex getting in my way. No sense in us both having a heart
              >attack.
              >
              >--Melinda

            • Laura Penny
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
                Here's another obsessive thing I've done: When we knew Kassy was going to
                pull through at age 1 (after they told us she was "extremely critical" and
                there was "a slim chance" she'd survive the night), I figured, "OK, I'll be
                happy if she makes it to the average cat lifespan of 15."

                So I started counting back from 15 to see how many years she could possibly
                have left.

                Now I'm at negative 1.5! I've never had a cat live this long...and now I
                have two 16.5 year olds. As my husband said, those cats live "charmed
                lives."

                Laura, Lucky, and Kassy
              • Voula Augerinos
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
                  Dear Laura,
                  oh we are kindred spirits!

                  http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                  (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

                  ----------
                  > From: Laura Penny <lepenny@...>
                  > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [feline-heart] Worried Catmom Syndrome
                  > Date: Saturday, 03 February , 2001 14:18
                  >
                  > Here's another obsessive thing I've done: When we knew Kassy was going to
                  > pull through at age 1 (after they told us she was "extremely critical"
                  and
                  > there was "a slim chance" she'd survive the night), I figured, "OK, I'll
                  be
                  > happy if she makes it to the average cat lifespan of 15."
                  >
                  > So I started counting back from 15 to see how many years she could
                  possibly
                  > have left.
                  >
                  > Now I'm at negative 1.5! I've never had a cat live this long...and now I
                  > have two 16.5 year olds. As my husband said, those cats live "charmed
                  > lives."
                  >
                  > Laura, Lucky, and Kassy

                • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
                    i enjoyed reading this...thx for sharing!

                    linda and the boys

                  • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
                      I have to be certain that I am counted in the worrying cat moms too!
                      I can keep right up with the rest of you and I haven't even had a
                      problem with Dom so far! By the time that we get to the point where
                      you guys have all been, I won't have a hair left on my head! LOL

                      I, too cater to the Doms every whim and alot of whims that he doesn't
                      even have! I never go out without having a radio playing for him. We
                      have the lights all on timers so Dom isn't in the dark. Plus I have
                      not spent the night away from him in over a year. DH has 2
                      overnighters planned this spring and I am struggling to tell myself
                      that it will be fine even when I have my son coming in twice a day to
                      give Dom his meds etc. I watch the poor guy like a hawk and call the
                      vet any time that I think I see anything out of the norm. Thank
                      heavens my regular vet is very tolerant and concerned about Dom too!
                      I think he is her only feline cardiac patient right now!

                      I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                      having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
                      to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                      would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>

                      Off to relax!
                      Jeanne

                      --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                      > i enjoyed reading this...thx for sharing!
                      >
                      > linda and the boys

                    • Voula Augerinos
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
                        Dear Jeanne,
                        I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned a day of
                        no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will return
                        the favour of course!

                      • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
                          Gee, wouldn't that be great if we actually could do that? And
                          wouldn't it be nice if we all lived in the same neighborhood so we
                          could watch over each others cats? Gee, I would love to sit with
                          Pebbles, Pum, Pongo, Kassy, Angel Lynx, Angel Sachie, and all of the
                          others I read about on the list! And I may actually stop calling home
                          and talking to the answering machine so Dom can hear my voice if I
                          thought 1 of you fellow worrying cat moms was in charge. <G> I trust
                          my son but he is 27 and not Doms favorite person since he only sees
                          him infrequently. Plus he is not into the "cardiac cat" as he calls
                          Dom. He just doesn't get it! I do have a letter on file at my vets
                          office with my wishes outlined if something should happen to Dom
                          while I am away though. I also have a copy here in case he should
                          need to be taken to the emergency vet who wouldn't have acess to my
                          vets letter immediately. I am prepared! Sort of like a living will
                          for Dom--I know I have lost it! But, I feel better this way! Did any
                          of you do this too?

                          Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
                          always available!

                          Jeanne

                          --- In feline-heart@y..., "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...> wrote:
                          > Dear Jeanne,
                          > I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned
                          a day of
                          > no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will
                          return
                          > the favour of course!
                          > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
                          >
                          > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                          > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
                          >
                          > > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                          > > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be
                          glad
                          > > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                          > > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                          > >
                          > > Off to relax!
                          > > Jeanne
                        • Voula Augerinos
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
                            Hi Jeanne,
                            what an excellent idea to have instructions filed at your vets in case
                            you are away.
                            I think I will let you know a day when I need some stress relief. I
                            mean most days I need stress relief! LOL! But I will wait for a day when I
                            could do with it even more!

                            http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                            (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

                            > Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
                            > always available!
                            >
                            > Jeanne
                          • Laura Penny
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
                              Jeanne,

                              We did the "living will" thing when we went on our honeymoon 14 years ago.
                              We specified that they should receive any care necessary, but no euthanasia
                              until we were contacted to discuss the situation.

                              We also did our real will just before we left. We specified the type of care
                              the cats should get, the guardian (my mom), and the amount of money. They
                              get the first chunk of money.

                              Wanna hear the really sad part? We now have two children (and another pet),
                              but haven't updated our will. We just can't decide on an appropriate
                              guardian. So I guess the cats will be swimming in dough and pay for
                              Courtney, Jon, and Nicky.

                              We REALLY need to get our acts together, especially since we're thinking of
                              adopting a baby this year!

                              Laura, nonworried humanmom

                            • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
                                Laura,

                                I love it! The cats are provided for and not the human children--oh
                                well, like you said the cats will take good care of them! LOL

                                So cute!!

                                Jeanne

                              • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                  hi jeanne,

                                  well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in france
                                  this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine leaving pum
                                  with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to suggest
                                  "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i would
                                  never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a friend who
                                  will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as far as i'm
                                  considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be sure he's
                                  ok....

                                  and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my hair
                                  ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!

                                  purrs to you,

                                  linda and the boys

                                  I have to be certain that I am counted in the worrying cat moms too!
                                  I can keep right up with the rest of you and I haven't even had a
                                  problem with Dom so far! By the time that we get to the point where
                                  you guys have all been, I won't have a hair left on my head! LOL

                                  I, too cater to the Doms every whim and alot of whims that he doesn't
                                  even have! I never go out without having a radio playing for him. We
                                  have the lights all on timers so Dom isn't in the dark. Plus I have
                                  not spent the night away from him in over a year. DH has 2
                                  overnighters planned this spring and I am struggling to tell myself
                                  that it will be fine even when I have my son coming in twice a day to
                                  give Dom his meds etc. I watch the poor guy like a hawk and call the
                                  vet any time that I think I see anything out of the norm. Thank
                                  heavens my regular vet is very tolerant and concerned about Dom too!
                                  I think he is her only feline cardiac patient right now!

                                  I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                                  having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
                                  to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                                  would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>

                                  Off to relax!
                                  Jeanne

                                  --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                                  > i enjoyed reading this...thx for sharing!
                                  >
                                  > linda and the boys

                                • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                    ooooooohhhhhhhhhh, pls include me.....

                                    linda

                                    I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned a day of
                                    no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will return
                                    the favour of course!

                                    http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                                    (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

                                    > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                                    > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
                                    > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                                    > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                                    >
                                    > Off to relax!
                                    > Jeanne

                                  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                      oooohhhh, this sounds great...what about someone pitching the idea for a pet
                                      friendly retirement community of pet lovers or else we could just make a
                                      list of where we all live and if we had to "go away" for some reason, we
                                      could babysit each other's pet if we are close enough to each other?? i
                                      guess i don't count, being in jamaica....but wouldn't that be a neat thing
                                      to be able to do...???? any ideas?? and with time the list might
                                      grow....didn't someone in seattle area have this kind of thing being set
                                      up??? i'm pretty sure that i saw it about a year in some posting...

                                      linda

                                      Gee, wouldn't that be great if we actually could do that? And
                                      wouldn't it be nice if we all lived in the same neighborhood so we
                                      could watch over each others cats? Gee, I would love to sit with
                                      Pebbles, Pum, Pongo, Kassy, Angel Lynx, Angel Sachie, and all of the
                                      others I read about on the list! And I may actually stop calling home
                                      and talking to the answering machine so Dom can hear my voice if I
                                      thought 1 of you fellow worrying cat moms was in charge. <G> I trust
                                      my son but he is 27 and not Doms favorite person since he only sees
                                      him infrequently. Plus he is not into the "cardiac cat" as he calls
                                      Dom. He just doesn't get it! I do have a letter on file at my vets
                                      office with my wishes outlined if something should happen to Dom
                                      while I am away though. I also have a copy here in case he should
                                      need to be taken to the emergency vet who wouldn't have acess to my
                                      vets letter immediately. I am prepared! Sort of like a living will
                                      for Dom--I know I have lost it! But, I feel better this way! Did any
                                      of you do this too?

                                      Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
                                      always available!

                                      Jeanne

                                      --- In feline-heart@y..., "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...> wrote:
                                      > Dear Jeanne,
                                      > I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned
                                      a day of
                                      > no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will
                                      return
                                      > the favour of course!
                                      > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
                                      >
                                      > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                                      > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
                                      >
                                      > > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                                      > > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be
                                      glad
                                      > > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                                      > > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                                      > >
                                      > > Off to relax!
                                      > > Jeanne

                                    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                        well, i'm impressed...i don't know what to do about pumpkin being in our
                                        situation...any suggestions?

                                        linda

                                      • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                          Hi Linda!

                                          Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                          fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                          on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                          but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                          They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                          to anyone of us!

                                          Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                          does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                          awhile!

                                        • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                            Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                                            best!

                                            Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                            fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                            on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                            but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                            They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                            to anyone of us!

                                            Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                            does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                            awhile!

                                            Jeanne

                                            --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                                            > hi jeanne,
                                            >
                                            > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                                            france
                                            > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                                            leaving pum
                                            > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                                            suggest
                                            > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                                            would
                                            > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                                            friend who
                                            > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                                            far as i'm
                                            > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                                            sure he's
                                            > ok....
                                            >
                                            > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                                            hair
                                            > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                                            >
                                            > purrs to you,
                                            >
                                            > linda and the boys

                                          • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 7, 2001
                                              i personally like to eat nutella right out of the jar....yes, i know that's
                                              awful!....to me the best is being able to buy hot chestnuts on a cold, cold
                                              day when you're walking around the city....in Paris my favorite forever
                                              place to go is outside Pere LaChaise cemetery, buy the chestnuts and then go
                                              walking....did you know that Jim Morrison is buried there...ok, this isn't a
                                              feline topic but it's good therapy for this worried mom....

                                              purrzles to you,
                                              linda and the boys

                                              Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                                              best!

                                              Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                              fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                              on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                              but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                              They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                              to anyone of us!

                                              Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                              does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                              awhile!

                                              Jeanne

                                              --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                                              > hi jeanne,
                                              >
                                              > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                                              france
                                              > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                                              leaving pum
                                              > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                                              suggest
                                              > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                                              would
                                              > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                                              friend who
                                              > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                                              far as i'm
                                              > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                                              sure he's
                                              > ok....
                                              >
                                              > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                                              hair
                                              > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                                              >
                                              > purrs to you,
                                              >
                                              > linda and the boys

                                            • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                                When I went to France at age 15 I specifically "made" my exchange family
                                                take me to see Jim's grave!

                                                Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                                                best!

                                                Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                                fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                                on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                                but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                                They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                                to anyone of us!

                                                Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                                does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                                awhile!

                                                Jeanne

                                                --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                                                > hi jeanne,
                                                >
                                                > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                                                france
                                                > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                                                leaving pum
                                                > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                                                suggest
                                                > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                                                would
                                                > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                                                friend who
                                                > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                                                far as i'm
                                                > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                                                sure he's
                                                > ok....
                                                >
                                                > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                                                hair
                                                > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                                                >
                                                > purrs to you,
                                                >
                                                > linda and the boys

                                              • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                                  it's an amazing place.....

                                                • brunobaby@earthlink.net
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                                    Karen wrote:

                                                    > When I went to France at age 15 I specifically "made" my exchange
                                                    >family take me [to Pere Lachaise cemetary] to see Jim's grave!

                                                    I was there in '87. There were young people from all over the world
                                                    having sort of a picnic there. There were a couple of students from
                                                    Germany who didn't understand a lot of English, but they
                                                    understood "I went down to the kitchen and got myself some beer."

                                                    To bring this back around to cats, <G> mine were young at the time,
                                                    and problem-free, with my next-door neighbor checking in on them a
                                                    couple of times a day while I was on vacation. However, Pongo would
                                                    still leave mementoes around the house for me to find when I got
                                                    back, to show me exactly what he thought about "deserting" him.

                                                    While in England and France, I bought a couple of cans of cat food,
                                                    not so much to feed to my cats but so that I could show
                                                    people, "Look, I've got cat food from France." After a few of days of
                                                    hauling them around in my backpack, I realized how inane this idea
                                                    was, and just saved the labels instead.

                                                    I still have the label from "Spillers Kattomeat with Rabbit," because
                                                    it has a white cat on the label who looks like Phoebe.

                                                    Karen, thanks for all the vet info.

                                                    --Melinda