Worried Catmom Syndrome

  • brunobaby@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
      Pongo's still holding steady. Inderal seems to be his drug of choice.
      If he keeps holding steady/improving, he has a follow-up appointment
      for another EKG a week from tomorrow.

      Meanwhile, I've been obsessively comparing his eating and sleeping
      habits and appearance now with a week ago, a month ago and a year
      ago. The mildest variation in any of these has me in a state of
      temporary panic until I'm sure he's not having another attack and
      until he gives me a really annoyed look. <G>

      Now, I know that it's miraculous that he's still here. I knew when I
      got him that the inevitable would happen one day, unless science has
      come up with a bionic cat. I know that this tension is irrational,
      but that doesn't stop me.

      Has anyone else had a cat who survived a serious complication from a
      serious disease -- heart, kidney, etc. -- and felt that way?

      My instincts told me loud and clear last Friday morning that
      something was wrong, and I'm sure they'll tell me again, without the
      panic reflex getting in my way. No sense in us both having a heart
      attack.

      --Melinda
    • brunobaby@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
        P.S. -- Since my husband's the one who actually got to see Pongo's
        heart attack, he's not only had the treat of having witnessed it, but
        of having to explain to me a hundred times exactly what happened
        every time I ask, "Did he do this, did he do that."

        Every time the phone rings in my office, I'm afraid it's him with bad
        news again. A while ago, I was on the phone with him, my other line
        rang, and I was afraid it was him.

        --Melinda the Truly Obsessed
      • Laura Penny
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
          Melinda,

          Perhaps you did not read about me in the Guinness Book of World Records? I
          believe I hold the record for longest obsession about a living cat! I've
          been totally obsessed with Kassy's every move since she almost died of an
          unknown malady (poisoning plus drug reaction, perhaps) at age 1.5. That was
          15 years ago!

          I'm ashamed to say the obsessiveness has gotten really bad! Sometimes I let
          my husband check on her because I'm afraid of what I'll find...and I do find
          stuff. Yesterday it was a bump under her chin...so I rushed her to the vet
          and found out it's most likely a flareup of her acne (not cancer as I
          naturally assumed). Before Christmas it was the lump on her shoulder. That
          was scary, but it was scar tissue from a previous benign lump removal.

          Yet if it weren't for my diligence, we would not have diagnosed her HCM,
          CRF, hyperT, feline acne, allergies, and fatty cysts, and we would have had
          many more incidences of eating ribbon.

          Sometimes I feel like I need to protect her from my obsessiveness so I don't
          drive her absolutely nuts (and drive her to the vet for yet another visit),
          yet I know that I've played a big part in keeping her alive all these years.

          I think what you're going thru with Pongo is very common, at least on *this
          list*. I'm just so happy he's still with you.

          Laura, the neurotic obsessive-compulsive catmom

          P.S. I *never* obsess about Lucky (cat), Nicky (dog), Courtney (human
          daughter), or Jonathan (human son).

          >Pongo's still holding steady. Inderal seems to be his drug of choice.
          >If he keeps holding steady/improving, he has a follow-up appointment
          >for another EKG a week from tomorrow.
          >
          >Meanwhile, I've been obsessively comparing his eating and sleeping
          >habits and appearance now with a week ago, a month ago and a year
          >ago. The mildest variation in any of these has me in a state of
          >temporary panic until I'm sure he's not having another attack and
          >until he gives me a really annoyed look. <G>
          >
          >Now, I know that it's miraculous that he's still here. I knew when I
          >got him that the inevitable would happen one day, unless science has
          >come up with a bionic cat. I know that this tension is irrational,
          >but that doesn't stop me.
          >
          >Has anyone else had a cat who survived a serious complication from a
          >serious disease -- heart, kidney, etc. -- and felt that way?
          >
          >My instincts told me loud and clear last Friday morning that
          >something was wrong, and I'm sure they'll tell me again, without the
          >panic reflex getting in my way. No sense in us both having a heart
          >attack.
          >
          >--Melinda

        • Voula Augerinos
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
            Dear Laura and Melinda,
            may I join the Worried Club? Oh Laura, you do win I think! Fifteen
            years is a massive achievement. LOL! I have been worried about Pebbles for
            three and a half years! Oh to match your years of obsession! LOL! That
            would mean I could have Pebbles for another decade at least! But you are
            right too, if it weren't for our obsessing our cats may not be with us
            still.

            http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
            (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

            ----------

          • Jonathan Rosenberg
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
              Does anyone else feel like this? Absolutely not. We're all completely calm
              & objective about our cats & never obsess about their symptoms.

              Not. I suspect many of us are exactly like this. After Lynx threw his 2nd
              blood clot, I was compeletly obsessed with checking his toes for
              temperature. Lynx was a very sweet cat. But I was feeling his toes so
              often that he actually snapped at me once. That was when I knew I had gone
              too far.

              I did manage to calm down some & start to trust my instincts, as opposed to
              every little (often imagined) detail. But it is so very difficult ...

            • Voula Augerinos
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
                Hi Jonathan,
                when I first joined the feline heart group I remember your messages of
                support about my worry over Pebbles. Thank you again. I remember thinking
                you must be a very calm person. But now I see the truth comes out! You too
                are a member of the Worried club, and just as obsessive. Hahahaha! Wow!
                That makes me feel so good! LOL!

              • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
                  Oh god, I have often thought that I need to take tranquilizers or something
                  to manage to deal with Pumpkin's condition. I obsess endlessly and can't
                  tell you how many sleepless nights I have had about him....I have cried so
                  much in the vet's office that they've told me to bring my own boxes of
                  kleenex (jokingly....but....)

                  Now that I'm not working I spend hours cuddling him and playing with
                  him....I watch his movements obsessively....I'm a wreck whenever he seems
                  out of sorts...When we were in Chile, I would call my housekeeper at least a
                  dozen times each day whenever I thought something might not be quite right
                  with him! She doted on him like an invalid....and he loved it! Now we have a
                  housekeeper in Jamaica bec I don't want him to have to be alone when I'm out
                  just in case something should happen (I certainly don't need one for any
                  other reason)!

                  Do I sound like a crazy person: sometimes I think I am!

                  Your friendly overly obsessive compulsive webmate,
                  Linda

                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
                    Oh Laura, you must have the makings of a saint! I am a wreck with just six
                    years of this....how do you manage!

                    Linda

                    >Pongo's still holding steady. Inderal seems to be his drug of choice.
                    >If he keeps holding steady/improving, he has a follow-up appointment
                    >for another EKG a week from tomorrow.
                    >
                    >Meanwhile, I've been obsessively comparing his eating and sleeping
                    >habits and appearance now with a week ago, a month ago and a year
                    >ago. The mildest variation in any of these has me in a state of
                    >temporary panic until I'm sure he's not having another attack and
                    >until he gives me a really annoyed look. <G>
                    >
                    >Now, I know that it's miraculous that he's still here. I knew when I
                    >got him that the inevitable would happen one day, unless science has
                    >come up with a bionic cat. I know that this tension is irrational,
                    >but that doesn't stop me.
                    >
                    >Has anyone else had a cat who survived a serious complication from a
                    >serious disease -- heart, kidney, etc. -- and felt that way?
                    >
                    >My instincts told me loud and clear last Friday morning that
                    >something was wrong, and I'm sure they'll tell me again, without the
                    >panic reflex getting in my way. No sense in us both having a heart
                    >attack.
                    >
                    >--Melinda

                  • Laura Penny
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
                      Here's another obsessive thing I've done: When we knew Kassy was going to
                      pull through at age 1 (after they told us she was "extremely critical" and
                      there was "a slim chance" she'd survive the night), I figured, "OK, I'll be
                      happy if she makes it to the average cat lifespan of 15."

                      So I started counting back from 15 to see how many years she could possibly
                      have left.

                      Now I'm at negative 1.5! I've never had a cat live this long...and now I
                      have two 16.5 year olds. As my husband said, those cats live "charmed
                      lives."

                      Laura, Lucky, and Kassy
                    • Voula Augerinos
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 2, 2001
                        Dear Laura,
                        oh we are kindred spirits!

                        http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                        (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

                        ----------
                        > From: Laura Penny <lepenny@...>
                        > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: Re: [feline-heart] Worried Catmom Syndrome
                        > Date: Saturday, 03 February , 2001 14:18
                        >
                        > Here's another obsessive thing I've done: When we knew Kassy was going to
                        > pull through at age 1 (after they told us she was "extremely critical"
                        and
                        > there was "a slim chance" she'd survive the night), I figured, "OK, I'll
                        be
                        > happy if she makes it to the average cat lifespan of 15."
                        >
                        > So I started counting back from 15 to see how many years she could
                        possibly
                        > have left.
                        >
                        > Now I'm at negative 1.5! I've never had a cat live this long...and now I
                        > have two 16.5 year olds. As my husband said, those cats live "charmed
                        > lives."
                        >
                        > Laura, Lucky, and Kassy

                      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
                          i enjoyed reading this...thx for sharing!

                          linda and the boys

                        • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
                            I have to be certain that I am counted in the worrying cat moms too!
                            I can keep right up with the rest of you and I haven't even had a
                            problem with Dom so far! By the time that we get to the point where
                            you guys have all been, I won't have a hair left on my head! LOL

                            I, too cater to the Doms every whim and alot of whims that he doesn't
                            even have! I never go out without having a radio playing for him. We
                            have the lights all on timers so Dom isn't in the dark. Plus I have
                            not spent the night away from him in over a year. DH has 2
                            overnighters planned this spring and I am struggling to tell myself
                            that it will be fine even when I have my son coming in twice a day to
                            give Dom his meds etc. I watch the poor guy like a hawk and call the
                            vet any time that I think I see anything out of the norm. Thank
                            heavens my regular vet is very tolerant and concerned about Dom too!
                            I think he is her only feline cardiac patient right now!

                            I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                            having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
                            to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                            would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>

                            Off to relax!
                            Jeanne

                            --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                            > i enjoyed reading this...thx for sharing!
                            >
                            > linda and the boys

                          • Voula Augerinos
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
                              Dear Jeanne,
                              I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned a day of
                              no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will return
                              the favour of course!

                            • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 4, 2001
                                Gee, wouldn't that be great if we actually could do that? And
                                wouldn't it be nice if we all lived in the same neighborhood so we
                                could watch over each others cats? Gee, I would love to sit with
                                Pebbles, Pum, Pongo, Kassy, Angel Lynx, Angel Sachie, and all of the
                                others I read about on the list! And I may actually stop calling home
                                and talking to the answering machine so Dom can hear my voice if I
                                thought 1 of you fellow worrying cat moms was in charge. <G> I trust
                                my son but he is 27 and not Doms favorite person since he only sees
                                him infrequently. Plus he is not into the "cardiac cat" as he calls
                                Dom. He just doesn't get it! I do have a letter on file at my vets
                                office with my wishes outlined if something should happen to Dom
                                while I am away though. I also have a copy here in case he should
                                need to be taken to the emergency vet who wouldn't have acess to my
                                vets letter immediately. I am prepared! Sort of like a living will
                                for Dom--I know I have lost it! But, I feel better this way! Did any
                                of you do this too?

                                Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
                                always available!

                                Jeanne

                                --- In feline-heart@y..., "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...> wrote:
                                > Dear Jeanne,
                                > I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned
                                a day of
                                > no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will
                                return
                                > the favour of course!
                                > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
                                >
                                > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                                > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
                                >
                                > > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                                > > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be
                                glad
                                > > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                                > > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                                > >
                                > > Off to relax!
                                > > Jeanne
                              • Voula Augerinos
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
                                  Hi Jeanne,
                                  what an excellent idea to have instructions filed at your vets in case
                                  you are away.
                                  I think I will let you know a day when I need some stress relief. I
                                  mean most days I need stress relief! LOL! But I will wait for a day when I
                                  could do with it even more!

                                  http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                                  (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

                                  > Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
                                  > always available!
                                  >
                                  > Jeanne
                                • Laura Penny
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
                                    Jeanne,

                                    We did the "living will" thing when we went on our honeymoon 14 years ago.
                                    We specified that they should receive any care necessary, but no euthanasia
                                    until we were contacted to discuss the situation.

                                    We also did our real will just before we left. We specified the type of care
                                    the cats should get, the guardian (my mom), and the amount of money. They
                                    get the first chunk of money.

                                    Wanna hear the really sad part? We now have two children (and another pet),
                                    but haven't updated our will. We just can't decide on an appropriate
                                    guardian. So I guess the cats will be swimming in dough and pay for
                                    Courtney, Jon, and Nicky.

                                    We REALLY need to get our acts together, especially since we're thinking of
                                    adopting a baby this year!

                                    Laura, nonworried humanmom

                                  • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 5, 2001
                                      Laura,

                                      I love it! The cats are provided for and not the human children--oh
                                      well, like you said the cats will take good care of them! LOL

                                      So cute!!

                                      Jeanne

                                    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                        hi jeanne,

                                        well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in france
                                        this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine leaving pum
                                        with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to suggest
                                        "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i would
                                        never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a friend who
                                        will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as far as i'm
                                        considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be sure he's
                                        ok....

                                        and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my hair
                                        ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!

                                        purrs to you,

                                        linda and the boys

                                        I have to be certain that I am counted in the worrying cat moms too!
                                        I can keep right up with the rest of you and I haven't even had a
                                        problem with Dom so far! By the time that we get to the point where
                                        you guys have all been, I won't have a hair left on my head! LOL

                                        I, too cater to the Doms every whim and alot of whims that he doesn't
                                        even have! I never go out without having a radio playing for him. We
                                        have the lights all on timers so Dom isn't in the dark. Plus I have
                                        not spent the night away from him in over a year. DH has 2
                                        overnighters planned this spring and I am struggling to tell myself
                                        that it will be fine even when I have my son coming in twice a day to
                                        give Dom his meds etc. I watch the poor guy like a hawk and call the
                                        vet any time that I think I see anything out of the norm. Thank
                                        heavens my regular vet is very tolerant and concerned about Dom too!
                                        I think he is her only feline cardiac patient right now!

                                        I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                                        having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
                                        to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                                        would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>

                                        Off to relax!
                                        Jeanne

                                        --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                                        > i enjoyed reading this...thx for sharing!
                                        >
                                        > linda and the boys

                                      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                          ooooooohhhhhhhhhh, pls include me.....

                                          linda

                                          I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned a day of
                                          no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will return
                                          the favour of course!

                                          http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                                          (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

                                          > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                                          > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be glad
                                          > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                                          > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                                          >
                                          > Off to relax!
                                          > Jeanne

                                        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                            oooohhhh, this sounds great...what about someone pitching the idea for a pet
                                            friendly retirement community of pet lovers or else we could just make a
                                            list of where we all live and if we had to "go away" for some reason, we
                                            could babysit each other's pet if we are close enough to each other?? i
                                            guess i don't count, being in jamaica....but wouldn't that be a neat thing
                                            to be able to do...???? any ideas?? and with time the list might
                                            grow....didn't someone in seattle area have this kind of thing being set
                                            up??? i'm pretty sure that i saw it about a year in some posting...

                                            linda

                                            Gee, wouldn't that be great if we actually could do that? And
                                            wouldn't it be nice if we all lived in the same neighborhood so we
                                            could watch over each others cats? Gee, I would love to sit with
                                            Pebbles, Pum, Pongo, Kassy, Angel Lynx, Angel Sachie, and all of the
                                            others I read about on the list! And I may actually stop calling home
                                            and talking to the answering machine so Dom can hear my voice if I
                                            thought 1 of you fellow worrying cat moms was in charge. <G> I trust
                                            my son but he is 27 and not Doms favorite person since he only sees
                                            him infrequently. Plus he is not into the "cardiac cat" as he calls
                                            Dom. He just doesn't get it! I do have a letter on file at my vets
                                            office with my wishes outlined if something should happen to Dom
                                            while I am away though. I also have a copy here in case he should
                                            need to be taken to the emergency vet who wouldn't have acess to my
                                            vets letter immediately. I am prepared! Sort of like a living will
                                            for Dom--I know I have lost it! But, I feel better this way! Did any
                                            of you do this too?

                                            Just LMK the day that I am to take on all worries with Pebbles! I am
                                            always available!

                                            Jeanne

                                            --- In feline-heart@y..., "Voula Augerinos" <catwoman1@i...> wrote:
                                            > Dear Jeanne,
                                            > I can really relate to your post! Would you mind if I planned
                                            a day of
                                            > no worry, and gave the worry to you just for that day! LOL! I will
                                            return
                                            > the favour of course!
                                            > Love, Voula and Pebbles and Lucy and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
                                            >
                                            > http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                                            > (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)
                                            >
                                            > > I actually get stressed out when 1 of "our" cats on the board is
                                            > > having a hard time--it doesn't have to be mine! I will always be
                                            glad
                                            > > to worry about your cat for you! I think my human family members
                                            > > would tell you that I am a stressed person! <G>
                                            > >
                                            > > Off to relax!
                                            > > Jeanne

                                          • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                              well, i'm impressed...i don't know what to do about pumpkin being in our
                                              situation...any suggestions?

                                              linda

                                            • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                                Hi Linda!

                                                Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                                fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                                on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                                but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                                They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                                to anyone of us!

                                                Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                                does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                                awhile!

                                              • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 6, 2001
                                                  Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                                                  best!

                                                  Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                                  fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                                  on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                                  but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                                  They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                                  to anyone of us!

                                                  Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                                  does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                                  awhile!

                                                  Jeanne

                                                  --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                                                  > hi jeanne,
                                                  >
                                                  > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                                                  france
                                                  > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                                                  leaving pum
                                                  > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                                                  suggest
                                                  > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                                                  would
                                                  > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                                                  friend who
                                                  > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                                                  far as i'm
                                                  > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                                                  sure he's
                                                  > ok....
                                                  >
                                                  > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                                                  hair
                                                  > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                                                  >
                                                  > purrs to you,
                                                  >
                                                  > linda and the boys

                                                • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Feb 7, 2001
                                                    i personally like to eat nutella right out of the jar....yes, i know that's
                                                    awful!....to me the best is being able to buy hot chestnuts on a cold, cold
                                                    day when you're walking around the city....in Paris my favorite forever
                                                    place to go is outside Pere LaChaise cemetery, buy the chestnuts and then go
                                                    walking....did you know that Jim Morrison is buried there...ok, this isn't a
                                                    feline topic but it's good therapy for this worried mom....

                                                    purrzles to you,
                                                    linda and the boys

                                                    Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                                                    best!

                                                    Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                                    fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                                    on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                                    but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                                    They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                                    to anyone of us!

                                                    Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                                    does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                                    awhile!

                                                    Jeanne

                                                    --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                                                    > hi jeanne,
                                                    >
                                                    > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                                                    france
                                                    > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                                                    leaving pum
                                                    > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                                                    suggest
                                                    > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                                                    would
                                                    > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                                                    friend who
                                                    > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                                                    far as i'm
                                                    > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                                                    sure he's
                                                    > ok....
                                                    >
                                                    > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                                                    hair
                                                    > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                                                    >
                                                    > purrs to you,
                                                    >
                                                    > linda and the boys

                                                  • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                                      When I went to France at age 15 I specifically "made" my exchange family
                                                      take me to see Jim's grave!

                                                      Make sure you try "crepe avec Nutella" at any streetside vendor. It's the
                                                      best!

                                                      Two weeks!! How awful! No way could I handle that one! And I am
                                                      fretting over 2 nights! LOL I keep telling Wayne that vacations are
                                                      on hold until something happens to Dom---I know this is crazy
                                                      but.....that's me! And a kennel! I bet you just about hit the floor!
                                                      They don't know you very well, huh? I know I would never suggest that
                                                      to anyone of us!

                                                      Well, we will all be here to help you through the France trip. (It
                                                      does sound great though!) I know you will agonize over this one for
                                                      awhile!

                                                      Jeanne

                                                      --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                                                      > hi jeanne,
                                                      >
                                                      > well, michael has told me that he has a 2 wk seminar to attend in
                                                      france
                                                      > this summer and i am agonizing over that bec i can't imagine
                                                      leaving pum
                                                      > with a caregiver that long...my neighbor had the poor judgement to
                                                      suggest
                                                      > "a kennel"....and we all nearly had cardiac failure on the spot...i
                                                      would
                                                      > never even consider that as an option....so now i might have a
                                                      friend who
                                                      > will come catsit and that would be the only reasonable option as
                                                      far as i'm
                                                      > considered and then of course i call at least twice a day to be
                                                      sure he's
                                                      > ok....
                                                      >
                                                      > and you are right...first i turned grayheaded and now i'm losing my
                                                      hair
                                                      > ....too much worrying here...i probably need to go into therapy!
                                                      >
                                                      > purrs to you,
                                                      >
                                                      > linda and the boys

                                                    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                                        it's an amazing place.....

                                                      • brunobaby@earthlink.net
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Feb 8, 2001
                                                          Karen wrote:

                                                          > When I went to France at age 15 I specifically "made" my exchange
                                                          >family take me [to Pere Lachaise cemetary] to see Jim's grave!

                                                          I was there in '87. There were young people from all over the world
                                                          having sort of a picnic there. There were a couple of students from
                                                          Germany who didn't understand a lot of English, but they
                                                          understood "I went down to the kitchen and got myself some beer."

                                                          To bring this back around to cats, <G> mine were young at the time,
                                                          and problem-free, with my next-door neighbor checking in on them a
                                                          couple of times a day while I was on vacation. However, Pongo would
                                                          still leave mementoes around the house for me to find when I got
                                                          back, to show me exactly what he thought about "deserting" him.

                                                          While in England and France, I bought a couple of cans of cat food,
                                                          not so much to feed to my cats but so that I could show
                                                          people, "Look, I've got cat food from France." After a few of days of
                                                          hauling them around in my backpack, I realized how inane this idea
                                                          was, and just saved the labels instead.

                                                          I still have the label from "Spillers Kattomeat with Rabbit," because
                                                          it has a white cat on the label who looks like Phoebe.

                                                          Karen, thanks for all the vet info.

                                                          --Melinda