FYI: easy pill splitting

  • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2001
      Just a note about cutting pills in quarters (I do this with atenolol, so I
      imagine it would work with any pill of the same consistency).

      At first I was having trouble cutting accurate 1/4s and not getting powder
      all over the place. Here's a tip for easy cutting- take a small, sharp knife
      (I use a paring knife) against a hard surface (I've been cutting on wax
      paper on the countertop- the same peice can be reused so I don't have to
      wash a cutting board and any powder is easily poured from the paper into the
      food dish). Place the knife flat over the pill and with the other hand, hold
      both sides of the pill with the fingers. Press the knife down into the pill.
      With the other hand stabilizing the pill, this should prevent it from
      breaking up more than desired.

      Hope this helps some of you out there who may be new to cutting pills.