Sandy's check-up

  • Anne Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3 5:15 PM
      Sandy went to the vets today to have his blood pressure checked. I
      had never seen this done on a cat before & was intrigued to see the
      little pressure cuff put on his upper front leg! The average result
      from his 3 tests was 140/110 which apparently is a bit high but not
      critically so. The vet is happy for him to continue on just the
      fortekor for the time being & wants to check his blood pressure
      again in 4-6 weeks time. If it is much the same, or higher, he may
      then put him on a calcium channel blocker.
      I asked about the causes of high blood pressure in a cat & was told
      that it is often a result of kidney, liver or thyroid problems. As
      Sandy's blood tests revealed normal kidney & liver funtion & his
      thyroid result was only very slightly raised, the vet thought it
      could be age-related arterio-sclerosis. I had thought Sandy was only
      about a year old when he first came into our lives but it is
      possible that he was older & hence now more than the 11 years old I
      think he is.
      For the time being he is doing OK. Eating quite well, but several
      small meals a day rather than 2 normal sized ones & he he has
      actually gained some weight. I had thought his days were numbered
      but, fingers crossed, it looks as though he may be with us for some
      time yet.