Re: [FH] Asymptomatic?

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
      --- Sara <sara5266@...> wrote:

      > What exactly does asymptomatic mean? I know it
      > means "no symptoms", but does it mean the cat doesnt
      > act any differently? Or if Toby had an accelerated
      > heart beat before he got on Atenolol, but now its in
      > the normal range with it, he is still asymptomatic?
      > Is a cat that is asymptomatic have a regular
      > heartbeat without meds?
      >
      > We're going to Tufts on Monday for his 6 mos
      > ultrasound. Does someone know of a good reference
      > for an easy to understand definition of HCM?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Sara and Toby
      >
      > Toby - 2 yr old Persian, dx 10/03 with obstructive
      > HCM, 6.25 mg Atenolol daily, 81 mg aspirin every 4
      > days.

      Sara,

      I believe asymtomatic means that a cat is not in CHF.
      By CHF I do not mean obvious to the layperson CHF
      (respiratory distress). Vets classify CHF by stages.
      For instance I have read a cardiologist (Fox maybe)
      that talked about how a vet defines the beginning of
      CHF. So I think the answer to your question is that
      Toby was and is asymptomatic as he is only on atenolol
      (no lasix).

      If you have not looked at the links section lately
      there are many more written by vets for other vets
      articles as I have finally organized my bookmarks and
      added a bunch including some very recently written
      ones. My favorites right now is by Clarke Atkins, he
      is currently doing the continuing cardiology education
      lecture circuit:

      Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy:
      What�s new and relevant in 2002?

      http://www.vetlatranquera.com.ar/pages/wild/small_animal_2.htm

      I also like Fox, Miller, Keene and Bonagura.

      I find that I may not understand everything I read,
      but I do get the gist of the articles, and going back
      and rereading them occasionally helps as my
      comprehension increases.

      Susan

      =====

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Deena
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2004
        Sara, these are great questions and ones you should ask during your
        echo. Try to read up and see if you can find a good picture of the
        inner workings of the feline heart. On the walls of the echo room,
        they have paintings of the different areas of a normal heart and
        will explain the difference between a normal heart and what they
        find with Toby. There may be lots of people in the room, but don't
        let it intimidate you...ask away. You're at a teaching institution
        and that's their job.

        "I believe asymtomatic means that a cat is not in CHF."
        Asymptomatic might mean different things. Mr Pepe had his repeat
        echo last week. There is no mention of CHF in this report where
        before it was listed as "advanced". Since Dr Rush closed the book
        on him, I certainly would not think he would be asymptomatic. Do
        you know what cardiologist they scheduled you with?

        Good luck and let me know how it goes.