Supplements

  • g minnier
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 3 11:05 AM
      My Bud is on Atenolol, 1/4 tab per 24 hours. I'm also supplementing with
      CoQ10, 20 mgs. per day; taurine, 600 mg. per day; and fish oil, 600 mg. per
      day. I have no idea what amount is good/helpful/safe? My main vet admits
      to being clueless regarding supplements (she's really a very good vet but so
      far, has not explored alternative medicine much). I have another mobile vet
      who is more versed in holisitic/homeopathic treatments but he has been out
      of town for weeks . . . Anyone have comments regarding the levels I'm
      currently giving? I haven't investigated L-carnitine yet so if you have any
      info on that, I'd also appreciate it. Thanks - I'm learning a lot from this
      list and Bud is still asymptomatic (I don't think he knows he has HCM so I'm
      not telling . . . .)
      Gwen and the 3 cats in Phoenix

      Find things fast with the new MSN Toolbar � includes FREE pop-up blocking!
    • TanyaIrw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 20, 2005
        Hi all--
        I posted last week about my Felix, my 12-year-old HCM kitty who is on
        Atenolol and doing quite well. I'd like to get some more feedback
        about supplements. I am firm believer in "integrative" medicine, both
        for cats, dogs and humans!

        First, do any of you use Pet Tinic? I used that for my 18-year-old
        CRF kitty, Kiki, who recently had to be helped to the bridge because of
        cancer. It's more or less a multi-vitamin. It has iron, copper,
        thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12. Is there any
        reason HCM kitties can't have it?

        I've read with interest what folks have said about COQ10, Omega fatty
        acids, L-carnitine, taurine and multi-vitamins.

        I'm wondering about what dosages I should use. Felix weighs about 10
        pounds. (Someone said 120 mg of COQ10, but I'm not sure what size cat
        they have.)

        What are the best sources of these supplements in cat-sized dosages?
        I've got a great pill cutter so I can always buy caplets or tablets and
        spilt them. Are there some brands that work best for this that you all
        have found? (I did this with the potassium my Kiki got and I found one
        tablet had a nice coating on it that made it split so much easier!!
        Took some trial and error, though.)

        I'll probably run whatever I decide to try by my vet just make sure
        nothing is conta-indicated for a kitty who also has high kidney levels
        (Felix's are getting up there.).

        Thanks in advance for your feedback!

        Purrs,
        Tanya
      • Lisa Clarizia
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 20, 2005
          Hi Tanya (and Felix),

          You'll find that lots of us on the list are taking an integrative approach
          -- I personally feel my kitty, Baby Boy (DCM, 1 week shy of his 1 year
          diagnosis anniversary) wouldn't be alive today without his supplements (and
          meds).

          I don't use Pet Tinic, but Baby Boy's getting all of those vitamins/minerals
          as well as the omega-3 fatty acids. He has DCM, but as far as I know, none
          are contraindicated for HCM, and should help support his heart function and
          general health. I don't know about the kidneys, which is why it's a good
          idea to ask your vet.

          As for q10, taurine, and carnitine, I highly recommend them. The basic
          dosage for taurine and carnitine is 250 to 500 mg daily. The tablets come in
          the form of gigantic horse pills, so I suggest you crush them and mix them
          in food, if possible. There are liquid preparations available, which are a
          *lot* easier to work with. I get most of my supplements at the Vitamin
          Shoppe (because they have a program where if you spend X amount you get X
          amount back at the end of the year as a gift certificate) but I also go to
          GNC as well. I don't fuss with brands too much, except I tend to stick with
          NatureMade capsules for the q10 because it's easiest for me to work with.

          As for the q10 -- Baby Boy is getting 200 mg daily (100 mg 2X per day). As
          far as anyone knows, it's non-toxic (and is also alleged to help kidney
          function) in large doses. However -- Baby Boy is *very* symptomatic and is
          getting that much because:

          1.) My review of the human literature suggests that a *minimum* dose of 400
          mg is necessary to achieve a clinical response in a human (one assumes a 150
          lb male), with many dosing regimens going much higher.

          2.) Baby Boy is a stinker to medicate, all his meds/supplements have to be
          given in liquid form via a syringe and even then he manages to spit some
          out. So, between the loss from the spitting and the loss in the preparation
          process, he's probably getting more like 150 mg. He weighs about 9 lbs.

          If Felix is not symptomatic, you may not need to give him that much. Excess
          won't hurt him, but it probably won't do him any good either, and this stuff
          is not cheap. I would say get him to 30 mg twice a day, and see how he does.

          Coenzyme q10 requires fat for absorbtion, so I suggest using the oil-based
          capsules -- just pierce them open and squeeze out the contents. They tend to
          come in 30, 60, 100, and 200 mg. I use the 100 mg. There are also
          powdered/tablet forms, and they can be used as well, just make sure it's
          given with a meal so there's some fat taken with it.

          Any supplement or food change carries the chance of tummy upsets, so I
          suggest you start slow and add things one at a time. Maybe start with the
          Pet Tinic, then add taurine then carnitine at 125 mg, and work him up to 250
          or 500 mg, then add the q10, starting at 30 mg a day and work your way up.

          I hope that helps and I hope Felix continues to do well!

          Lisa

          --
          Lisa Clarizia
          lclarizia@...

        • millefont1
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 26, 2005
            Hi, everyone---I'm another new member, but a regular on the Feline IBD
            list with Peaseblossom. She is a 6 yr old calico with attitude---and a
            terrible heart. We adopted her in April, 2005 and finally got her IBD
            under control by this summer. In July, we found out the hard way that
            she also has HCM. She barely survived her first crisis with congestive
            heart failure AND kidney failure. Both the nephrologist and the
            cardiologist figured she wouldn't make it, or if she did, that she
            would never recover normal kidney function or any quality of life.
            But she's a little fighter and beat all the odds this time, as she has
            already done with IBD. Her kidney values are normal, and she's doing
            fairly well with her heart so far. In fact, our biggest problem with
            her at the moment is that she keeps harassing and chasing our 4 other
            bigger, healthier, and clearly wimpier cats. As she's gotten stronger
            from all her combined illnesses, she is developing a VERY jealous
            temperament...We call her our little terrorist.

            The vet wanted to wait until she was stronger to put her on meds, but
            after combing the Net and the info on this list (thanks to you all,
            esp. Lisa!), I've already put her on 30 mgs of CoQ10, 250 mgs. of L-
            carnitine, extra salmon oil, and a little extra selenium, B-complex,
            and taurine per day. For her IBD, she was already taking Lyprinol (a
            concentrated omega 3 fatty acid), L-glutamine, and Culturelle
            (probiotic). Some posts also recommend DMG, but I couldn't find any
            dosage info. By the way, we feed all our cats a raw diet we got from
            www.catnutrition.org. Can anyone let me know what the dose for DMG
            should be, and whether there are other supplements we should
            consider? Thanks so much.
            Susan and Peaseblossom (along w/ Wally, Patience, Pippin, and Lily)
          • Cristine Fireheart
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 31, 2007
              Stopped at the vitamin shop, Next to Nature, last night and picked up
              Magnesium and L-Carnatine. I just started Daisy May on the CoQ10 about a
              week ago, so I'm not ready to bombard her with more stuff, but my cash
              flowed a little easier this week, so I waned to have them here when I was
              ready, since the store is 45 minutes away. It's a really nice place, it's in
              Hamburg, NY (suburb of Buffalo) incase anyone is near.

              I also recommend Gifts of Gaia (on Buffalo St in Hamburg) for Flower
              Essences and herbs. They also have some great guest speakers and classes.

              So far so good with the CoQ10, I'm giving her 1, 30mg softgel on her food
              daily, with 2 crushed WellCat tabs (by Wellness). Of course, she is the only
              one who will not crunch up the tabs like treats. The others will lick the
              CoQ10 off my fingers when I make a mess too.

              I put a couple pics of her in the Photos, I'll sort through and find more of
              the crew later.

              Blessings,

              Cristine & Daisy May

              ~*~*~*~
              "All roads eventually lead to the Great Path. Many cross on the way."
              http://www.connectionsreiki.com

              If I want to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'll put shoes on my
              cat.
            • amanda
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2007
                Hi Good luck with the supps! I just took a look at Daisey Mays pics,(love her name) shes gorgeous and read about her going through pregnancy, wow what a strong kitty! Lovely kitties! kitty hugs Amanda and Silver chan.

              • helen stone
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 18, 2007
                  Dear All,
                  I have a silly question again, I brought Anna some nordic naturals cod liver oil following someones wonderful recommendation of their products on here, now thinking I might have brought the wrong thing, I'm not sure if the gel caps would be better? I think they have vit e, and the cod liver oil has a and D which I'm not sure I should be giving, the D due to her slightly raised phosphate.
                  Also, equally silly, but if anyone knows a web site where I can get her coq 10 and l carnitine I'd really love to know, the ones I have seem to have a lot of additives and weird bases which I'm just not sure I want to pile into her system,
                  Sorry,
                  Thanks so much
                  Helen

                • ittybiity
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 6, 2007
                    What other supplements and there doses do you recommend. I know coQ10
                    was recommended. Kim
                  • Nathalie Bouillon
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 18
                      Hello,

                      My cat has hcm and has been diagnosed with intestinal lymphoma. He had a cancerous mass removed from the intestine. He is recovering very well.

                      The vet advised me to do chemo but I'm scared because of his heart. And also I'm scared it is going to be too expensive. I'm getting broke.

                      My cat is taking lasix, plavix and methimazole.
                      Somebody from this group kindly advised me supplements to help with heart and immune system:
                      - ubiquinol
                      - milk thistle
                      - marine phytoplancton
                      - six gentlepets
                      - transfer factor plus
                      - noxylane 4 double strength

                      Do you know if any of these supplements can interfere with plavix or lasix???

                      Thanks!

                      Nathalie
                    • Carol
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 18
                        hi Nathalie,

                        None of the anti-cancer supplements will interfere with either Lasix or Plavix.  Ubiquinol (CoQ10), does have some miniscule blood thinning properties, but it's so little that it's not ever even considered a problem with cats taking blood thinners. Milk thistle cleans the liver, again, does not interfere with either drugs.  Marine phytoplankton is really just a food. It doesn't have any diuretic or blood thinning properties.  The transfer factor plus is colostrum and medicinal mushrooms, and won't interfere with the meds.  The Noxylane is also a medicinal mushroom based supplement.

                        The only one that I would do some research on is the Chinese herbal formula, Six GentlePets.  I don't know if the ingredients in that have any diuretic or blood thinning properties.

                        Hope this helps.

                        Carol

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 6 5:05 PM

                          Our vet is recommending either Thorne Research's Bio Cardio or Vetri Science's Cardio Strength for our little Trixie who was diagnosed a few weeks back. Any one have any experience with either of them? She seems to be doing well with the Plavix, Lasix and Atenolol but still has off days :( Every day at a time right?

                        • Karen Bodin
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 6 6:25 PM
                            I have been giving the Vetri Science one for many months now for CHF and my cat does very, very well with it. I actually credit it for my cat's well-being. My vet recommended to start with half a capsule once a day for a few days and then give 1/2 a capsule twice a day. The taste must be awful judging by my cat's reaction, so I purchased empty size 4 capsules via amazon and refill the big capsule into 7 little ones, giving 4 in the morning and 3 at night.

                            My cat gets Carbimazole, Enalapril and Amlodipine as meds, and Hi-vite with iron and Vetri Science Cardio Strength as supplements. She also drinks nettle tea and chamomile tea. We were able to stop the Lasix and she does fine without.

                            Karen