Hello! We haven't fallen off the face of the Earth ....

  • Dana Rulf
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2004
      Hi all,
      I'm so sorry I haven't posted -- after Chris' post, I had to drop a
      line. We've been out of town, visiting my Dad in FL -- he's had a
      very rough month, so we've been dealing with long-distance issues
      until last week when we flew down. Just got back tonight.

      Merlyn did GREAT while we were gone our cat-sitter said -- ate like a
      champ and came to her to be petted and fussed over. Poor Tully is the
      one who stressed out and threw up all over the part of the house to
      which he was confined (we had to separate them so we could leave
      Merlyn's food w/medication out 24/7.

      Merlyn still is fighting some kind of insidious URI -- his eye is all
      cleared up, but his nose is still congested (no sign of pneumonia -- I
      took him for chest x-rays before we left). Does anyone have any
      experience with a snuffling kitty? As I said, chest x-rays are fine,
      appetite is great, acting like 'himself' -- nothing out of the
      ordinary except for the nasal stuffiness. He finshed a 2 week course
      of antibiotics. I'll be calling Doc Mike tomorrow to discuss it with
      him, but any ideas are welcome at this point!

      Sorry for causing worry -- now that we've got my Dad settled, things
      will hopefully settle down around here!

      Thanks for the concern --
      Now I jsut need to get through my 538 mail messages!!!
      Everyone take care,
      Dana
      Merlyn & Tully (THOSE SUITCASES ARE GOING BACK DOWNSTAIRS, RIGHT MOM?)
    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2004
        In an earlier message, Dana Rulf [mailto:drulf@...] said ...

        > Merlyn still is fighting some kind of insidious URI -- his eye is all
        > cleared up, but his nose is still congested (no sign of pneumonia -- I
        > took him for chest x-rays before we left). Does anyone have any
        > experience with a snuffling kitty? As I said, chest x-rays are fine,
        > appetite is great, acting like 'himself' -- nothing out of the
        > ordinary except for the nasal stuffiness. He finshed a 2 week course
        > of antibiotics. I'll be calling Doc Mike tomorrow to discuss it with
        > him, but any ideas are welcome at this point!

        Has Merlyn had lots of URIs in the past? Does he have any discharge with his current symptoms? Are you sure he's
        congested? Or could be having wheezing-like breathing due to some obstruction in his nasal area?

        A few thoughts:

        1) Maybe it's time to try some other antibiotics? Or 2 in combination (Antirobe & Clavamox)? Or even bring out the big
        guns (Baytril)? We sometimes find one or more of these necessary to knock out stubborn URIs.

        2) You could consider a nasal endoscopy. Merlyn would have to be sedated for this, so it's not something you'd consider
        lightly. But there could be something going on in his nasal cavities (polyps, scar tissue).

        --
        Jonathan Rosenberg
        Licorice, Tigger, Jet,