Always check the sodium in fresh chicken

  • Linda Fischbach
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2004
      I just want to make a few comments.

      When you buy fresh chicken or any meat, be sure to check the nutrient
      breakdown on the package. Chicken should have 30 to 50mg of sodium per
      serving. However, broth is often added, and the broth is loaded with salt
      (as well as onions, which is a big no-no for cats). If broth has been
      added, the sodium might be 300 to 500mg of sodium per serving. You can
      find 2 brands of fresh chicken next to each other in the meat counter and
      one will have added broth and the other won't. So always check.

      The information on http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm is
      based on Dry Matter. Canned cat food is about 70-80% water, so a 5.5oz
      can may only have 1.2 oz of dry matter. If you need the exact amount of
      sodium, you must use the dry matter weight. This is why the protein shows
      up so much higher than what is on the can; the can lists protein "as fed".

      Linda