New member

  • Anne Scott
    Message 1 of 88 , Mar 2, 2004
      Hi everyone,
      I have just joined the 'our cats' group & have been advised to join
      this one as well since I have two cats with heart problems.
      Altogether I have 11 rescue cats but the two with heart conditions
      are Willow & Sandy.
      Willow is 14 years old & was diagnosed with iliac thrombosis about 4
      years ago. She suddenly had a number of bouts of severe hind leg
      pain & could hardly walk. She was prescribed 1/4 aspirin every 3
      days & has been fairly well since then though is not very active &
      has a lot of muscle wastage in her hind legs. I was also told at the
      same time that she had a slight heart murmur. She recently had
      another check-up & I was told that her heart murmur is now grade 3
      but there is no sign of any thrombosis at present. I had not heard
      of the condition HCM until recently & am wondering if she might have
      this. The vet has never suggested any tests for this nor is she on
      any heart medication - just the aspirin.
      Sandy is 11 years old & has been very unwell recently. I noticed
      about 3 months ago that he was gradually losing weight in spite of
      continuing to eat quite well. He also looked 'peaky' with a hunched
      appearance. He has been thoroughly examined, has had full blood
      tests, x-rays & ultrasound but no real reason for his illness has
      been found. His bloods showed he had slight hyperthyroidism which
      surprised me as he was was very sluggish & not a greedy eater. He
      was put on the drug felimizole but he reacted badly to this &
      developed a large, infected facial sore so had to be taken off it.
      As he also had slight hypertension he has now been put on fortekor.
      A further blood test revealed that his potassium levels were very
      low so he now has to have potassium powder mixed into his food. His
      potassium level is now normal & he eats well, but little & often.
      However, he still looks as though there is something very wrong with
      him & I am frustrated that the root cause has not been found. The
      only other findings were that his liver was slightly small & firm &
      his gall bladder slightly large.
    • Carol
      Message 88 of 88 , Feb 27, 2016
        If you just hit "reply" it will go back to the original person who posted.  If you want it to go to the whole group, hit "reply all".

        Carol