Re: [FH] Cat won't eat - help!

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2004
      Lee,

      The latest thinking on sodium restriction is that it
      is usually not advocated until the later stages of
      CHF. I realize your cat is 15 and I do not have all
      the information. Whenever a change in food is
      contemplated with a cat to a prescription diet,
      transitioning by mixing the two foods together will
      usually work better than an abrupt change because cats
      are creatures of habit.

      You say your cat was diagnosed with mitral valve
      trouble. Is he CRF or hyperT? Was an echo done and
      what if any meds have been prescribed? Is sodium
      restriction the only thing that was prescribed? Was
      your cat seen by either an Internal Medicine vet or a
      Cardiologist? They would have ACVIM in addition to
      the DVM in their title.

      In the meantime let him have some Fancy Feast.
      Anorexia begets anorexia in cats

      Susan

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools