Re: [FH] Cat won't eat - help!

  • Linda Fischbach
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2004
      Hi Lee,

      Your cat must eat, or he's at risk for hepatatic lipodosis. Many cats
      like meat babyfood (no onion), or how about no-salt-added tuna fish.

      Or blend up some food and water to a cake batter consistency, and see if he
      will eat from a small spoon. If this doesn't work, use an eye dropper or a
      syringe. To syringe the food into him, go through the side of the mouth
      and syringe across the tongue -- this avoids choking. In otherwords, don't
      point the syringe so the food goes directly down his throad.

      I have a Feline Assisted Feeding group:
      people will help you. I'm on my way to bed (just got up to feed a cat),
      but others on the group should be up.

      Linda

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2004
        Hi Lee,

        In a message dated 2/29/04 11:38:43 PM, leeborgmeier@... writes:

        << Since the diagnosis, he is on a salt-free diet >>

        Why does the cat need sodium restriction?

        << and now refuses to eat almost anything. >>

        Socalled prescription foods are often unpalatable to cats, in part b/c the
        ingredient manipulation required to achieve a particular chemical analysis (in a
        laboratory) renders the "food" inedible and not particularly nutritious (to a
        cat's body). Further, it's important to keep in mind that nutrients work in
        balance in the cat's body, which has very particular nutritional requirements;
        severe restriction in one nutrient sometimes causes an imbalance with other
        nutrients, which is not necessarily desirable.

        << He doesn't like the

        salt-free cat food, he doesn't like people hamburger or

        turkey hamburger. >>

        Cats have a very strong mechanism (called neophobia) that generally inhibits
        their eating anything "strange." Any new smell or taste needs to be introduced
        very slowly, like 1 tsp or less per day...separate from the usual food...so
        that they can get accustomed to it without spoiling their appetite; as
        acceptance increases, the amt of new food can also increase and be mixed in with the
        old food, keeping in mind the necessary caloric intake (about 20-30 calories
        per lb of body weight per day). While some cats will accept a new food more
        quickly then others, many will not...so introducing it slowly and positively
        enhances the chance of acceptance.

        If you want to introduce fresh meat, such as fresh chicken or turkey muscle
        meat, you can get information on the sodium content and nutritional analysis
        here (among others): www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl.

        << Does anyone have any suggestions on salt-free food that

        he may eat? >>

        It may be a good idea to ask the vet why the cat needs sodium restriction and
        what level of sodium is acceptable. There are often commercial foods that
        provide higher-quality (again, quality in the nutritional sense) ingredients and
        have a chemical analysis that is roughly equivalent to so-called therapeutic
        diets; vets are not always aware of commercial options.

        For a chart of the sodium content of commercial and Rx diets, see:
        http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm. As you'll see, the sodium content of
        Fancy Feast flavors varies. As you'll also see, there are quality commercial
        canned foods with a sodium content that is roughly equivalent to that of
        sodium-restricted Rx foods (eg Hill's g/d; 0.32% sodium), such as PetGuard turkey
        (0.26%), Felidae (0.35%), and Eagle Pack (0.28%).

        << I really worried; he has eaten almost nothing

        in two days. >>

        This really is not beneficial to the cat. Cats' metabolisms never shut "off"
        (simply stated)...which is related to why cats eat around 15 times per day in
        the wild. No food intake has potentially serious consequences, incl
        malnutrition and hepatic lipidosis. It is important for all cats, regardless of health
        disorder, to receive quality (in the nutritional sense) nutrition that meets a
        cat's unique nutritional requirements; adjustment of any one dietary
        component, such as sodium, needs to take place in balance with those needs. You may
        want to consider offering the cat anything he finds palatable, incl Fancy Feast.
        Other foods that inappetant cats sometimes find palatable are pure meat baby
        food (eg BeechNut chicken and broth) and canned salmon in water; these are not
        complete diets for cats, but can be used temporarily to encourage appetite. It
        also sometimes helps to spoon some warm water or juice from a can of
        water-packed tuna over the usual food to restart the appetite. After the cat begins
        eating again with gusto, if you want to introduce a new food, you can start
        adding very small amts of the new food off your finger or on a separate dish
        before meal times. // Rosemary