Re: Heartworm preventative?

  • Sarah McCoy
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 29, 2004
      Hi Susan,
      To the best of my knowledge, heartworm is almost completely unknown
      in cats. Here in Australia, there have been a few cases (tropical
      climates lend themselves to heartworm). I wouldn't think it would be
      a problem in Ohio, though. Especially in cats.

      I use revolution on my kitties, except now that Piglet's been
      diagnosed with RCM, I've stopped temporarily. None of my kitties has
      a bad reaction to it, though.

      regards,
      Sarah & Piglet the Buddha-belly Boy with RCM

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan <somnamblst@y...> wrote:
      > Are anyone's cats om heartworm preventative?
      >
      > Only one vet has ever tried to sell it to me in the
      > form of Revolution and it was definitely one of those
      > vet practices where you got the impression they were
      > all about the bottom line. I only used it for two
      > months on Rudy because he had like a 30 minute panic
      > attack immediately after receiving his 2nd monthly
      > dose. I realize part of the answer is dependent on
      > geography. I am in Southwest OH.
      >
      > Below is a Clarke Atkins article on heartworm:
      >
      > Feline Heartworm Disease: What's Different
      > Clarke Atkins, DVM, Diplomate ACVIM (Cardiology,
      > Internal Medicine)
      > North Carolina State University
      > http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?
      CID=WALTHAMOSU2002&PID=2985

      > Susan
      >
      > =====
      > Rudy: Male DSH brown tabby, feral mom, diagnosed 09-2002 at 19
      months of age with idiopathic HCM: grade 2 murmur, hyperkinetic
      heart, borderline normal thickening, considered asymptomatic, 12.5 mg
      Atenolol 1x day, 1/2 baby aspirin 2x week administered via pilling