Re: [FH] Digest Number 1453

  • Susan Aufieri
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2004
      I'm going thru the same kind of thing with Abby, the *formerly* food
      obsessed senior furball. When I say food obsessed, I mean OBSESSED. I
      can only think of one or two times I've actually been able to fill this
      cat up to where she couldn't eat another bite. :-)

      The past couple of weeks it's been a struggle to get her to eat her
      regular amounts. She's eating a lot like people do after they undergo
      anesthesia, two maybe three bites and that's all they can squash down
      the gullet. The drug she takes, Lasix, tends to depress the appetite,
      and that may be the situation with your furry companion. Plus, the
      illness can zap the appetite. She's had a terrible case of "The Trots",
      which isn't making it any easier on her.

      So, we've beefed up the foodstuffs to Science Diet's a/d and the
      Science Diet kibble for kittens to increase the nutrition in a smaller
      package of foodstuffs. Abby absolutely LOVES the a/d, but still can't
      eat more than a 1/3 can at a whack (she could have eaten two, maybe
      three in her former days). I also leave a measured amount of kitten
      kibble for the one or two mouthful pit stops. I measure it so I can
      monitor intake and be sure she's getting enough nutrition.

      I know that when I've been on certain meds it has altered my
      smell/taste perceptions. Perhaps this is happening with this cat?

      Susan and Abby