Deagan's Itchies

  • jen
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2004
      Deagan has been having these itching fits lately. He twitches the
      skin above his tail and licks frantically at it and beside it. When
      I try to scratch it for him, he usually bites me (not his normal,
      gentle love bites!). I've triple checked him for fleas, his skin
      looks good, no redness or allergy signs. I've seen this before in
      allergy cats (which could be his problem) but does anyone else ever
      see this behavior? I'm wondering if it could be related to micro
      clots or reduced circulation???

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      jen, deagan and kira the dog
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2004
        When Morag was on transdermal everything, she spent an inordinate
        amount of time licking her two front paws to the point that she made
        herself bleed by completely removing the fur over one of her claw
        sheaths - the one at the side of the paw.

        When she was switched to treats, this behaviour stopped. Perhaps
        Deagan is having a reaction to one of the medications or supplements
        that he's taking.

        Sarah.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jen" <lundgren_jennifer@h...>
        wrote:
        > Deagan has been having these itching fits lately. He twitches the
        > skin above his tail and licks frantically at it and beside it.
        When
        > I try to scratch it for him, he usually bites me (not his normal,
        > gentle love bites!). I've triple checked him for fleas, his skin
        > looks good, no redness or allergy signs. I've seen this before in
        > allergy cats (which could be his problem) but does anyone else
        ever
        > see this behavior? I'm wondering if it could be related to micro
        > clots or reduced circulation???
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > jen, deagan and kira the dog
      • zanth_99
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2004
          Jen,

          Boo Kitty has a food allergy, we think it is to chicken. The vet
          changed her food to IVD limited diet, I saw a remarkable difference
          in her itchies in about 2 - 3 weeks....cats will develop allergies
          over several years....it's certainly something that you can look
          into.

          Sandy, Boo Kitty and Angel Stinky