Patrick and the crappy cardiologist

  • Nancy Wells
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2004
      I sent a general distress email to the group a few
      weeks ago, concerning a recent diagnosis (1/19/04) of
      asymptomatic HCM (with a grade 3/4 heart murmur) in my
      12-year-old orange tabby, Patrick. Having just joined
      the group, I was distraught both by the cardiologist's
      diagnosis and his assertion that nothing should be
      done, "just come back in a year for another
      echocardiogram."

      Thanks in large part to feedback from a number of the
      group (I'm so grateful to those of you who responded
      to my SOS), I found another cardiologist in the Links
      section of the site and took Patrick to see her last
      Thursday. It turns out that the HCM is probably
      secondary to hypertension. His BP was something like
      210 or 220, and there was already some indication of
      damage to his eyes. While it's true that he had had a
      hyperthyroid condition about a year previously
      (quickly corrected with radiation), I'm appalled that
      the first cardiologist simply assumed that was the
      cause and never even thought to check his blood
      pressure.

      He's now on BP medication, and already seems more
      himself (perkier, more affectionate) than he has in
      months. Once his BP stabilizes, he's to go on aspirin,
      as well, to prevent blood clots from forming.

      Mainly, I wanted to let everyone know what a help this
      site was, and that it never hurts to get a second
      opinion. If I had waited another year, I expect
      Patrick would have gone blind, or worse.

      Thanks, again. -Maggie

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools