RE: [feline-heart] data pls?

  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 43 , Jan 27, 2001
      also, my human dr said that atenolol will eventually lead to
      hyperthyroidism...he said the length of time varies but that it's
      inevitable...

      ????? anyone had any experience with this?

      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 28, 2001
        She was 3.5 yrs when dx'd. (April 1995) She did start atenolol right
        away. 1/4 tablet per day (and yes, I wasted many of them cutting
        them! <G>)

        I think it was around Fall 1998 when her murmur went away. We weaned
        her off the Atenolol. A year later she still had no murmur but we did
        an ultrasound anyway. At this point her dx was changed from HCM to
        RHM and we started the Enecard.

        Up until the day she died you'd never know she had a heart condition.
        She never once showed any symptoms, no shortness of breath until that
        last day, nothing.

        I remember our vet commenting a year after her dx that the original
        vet (same practice) that heard it made a good call as it was very
        faint. So I have to say I am very lucky to have such great people
        caring for my kids, otherwise I may not have had the time with her
        that I did. Also, if we didn't do yearly checkups there may have been
        a time where it was never heard.

        Diane