New member . . . Kitty diagnosed with heart murmur

  • Laura Lawrence
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2004
      Hi all,

      I hope it's okay to post this here since Riggs hasn't been diagnosed
      with HCM! We just found out today that our 1 1/2 year old male
      Ragdoll Riggs has a grade II/III heart murmur. He's a rescue and
      we've only had him about three weeks now; in addition to the heart
      murmur, he is also recovering from a viral infection and may have to
      undergo surgery to remove an undescended testicle. I was initially
      more worried about the testicle since he is having
      testosterone/androgen-related skin problems (stud tail and hair loss
      mostly) and has been spraying, but now that I've done some research
      on heart conditions I'm really worried about his long-term health.
      He isn't having any other cardiac symptoms like lethargy or
      coughing, although he is underweight. Our vet believes that it was
      an undiagnosed congenital defect, and didn't recommend any further
      treatment or special care at this time. What is the liklihood of
      this truly being something life-threatening? Is the murmur alone a
      serious enough problem for us to do more thorough diagnostics? Is
      there anything we need to be especially careful about with Riggs?
      Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me!

      Laura Lawrence
      Riggs: http://community.webshots.com/album/115159301MjkOUX