Re: EMERGENCY O2 Tank Info

  • Deena
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 11, 2004
      In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "turkishangoraathumanesociety"
      <turkishangoraathumanesociety@y...> wrote:

      "What exactly IS a concentrator, and how does it work?"
      The simplified answer is an electrical device that you plug into the
      wall, push the button and it makes oxygen. So as long as you have
      electricity, you can make O2 and don't have to remember to get tanks
      filled. Here's some links to learn more.
      http://www.cchs.net/health/health-info/docs/2400/2412.asp?index=8707
      http://www.lr.com.au/respiratory_product_info.htm

      How long do they last?
      There aren't many moving parts, so with proper care they should last
      many years. You do need to clean the filters and wipe them down,
      but other than that maintenance is pretty minor. They do need to be
      sent in for service after a certain amount of hours use. This
      depends on the brand/model and some can go 50,000 hours before
      service is needed. I have the DeVilbiss 3 Liter and its pretty
      maintenance free.

      "And where do you find "hobby use only" o2?"
      The only time I've seen hobby use is on Ebay. This means you don't
      need a prescription to buy. If you do a search for Oxygen
      Concentrators, you'll see what I mean. The best/cheapest way to
      find a concentrator is through someone who bought one but doesn't
      need it anymore (trying to be tactful here). Some may call this
      ambulance chasing, but most families will be grateful to get rid of
      it. I know when my Dad died after a lengthy illness, I had lots of
      medical supplies that I had to find homes for or throw away. I was
      thrilled to find people without insurance to were so thankful for
      his meds. If he had oxygen equipment and someone asked me for it to
      save their kitties life...I would have gladly given it to them. The
      problem is you have to know the right connections or be in the right
      place at the right time. That's why I bought mine on Ebay. It's
      quick.

      If you want tanks, I would go to a welding supply house. These are
      usually listed in the yellow pages under welding or gases-
      industrial.

      Does that answer all your questions?
      Good Luck with Lillie.