Re: [FH] Appetite issues

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2004
      --- savionna@... wrote:
      > Hi Bonnie,
      >
      > In a message dated 1/8/04 8:50:03 AM,
      > bonniebrown22@... writes:
      >
      > << I am a new member. My cat Simba was diagnosed
      > with Cardio Myopathy in
      >
      > October. He is on a great deal of drugs and recently
      > his appetite has
      >
      > decreased significantly. >>
      >

      > << is there anything like a "nutrition shake" for
      >
      > cats? I will feed it from a dropper if necessary. >>
      >
      > Hmm, not really.

      Actually there is. The product I am most familiar with
      is available through your vet and was created by vets
      for Hill's Prescription Pet Food line.

      From Critical Care in Cats
      http://www.walthamusa.com/articles/fcritcare.pdf

      Key points:
      Critically ill patients are in a very unstable and
      dynamic phase of change.
      �The effect of starvation is different and more severe
      in stressed animals compared to
      normal pets, and malnutrition can occur within a
      number of days.
      �Protein-calorie-malnutrition can have severe effects
      on the major organ systems,
      including muscles, the gastrointestinal tract, and the
      immune system, possibly even
      leading to bacterial translocation and septicemia.
      �Identifying patients that benefit from nutritional
      support is important and is based
      on patient histories, physical examinations, and
      laboratory results.
      �The provision of nutritional support plays a crucial
      role in the rapid and successful
      recovery of critically ill patients.
      �The energy intake of critically ill patients needs to
      be monitored closely, while
      supplying a minimum level of resting energy and
      adjusting this as appropriate.
      �Energy needs to be provided in the form of high
      quality protein and fat.
      �Other nutrients of interest are specific amino acids
      like arginine, glutamine, and
      branch-chain amino acids, as well as B vitamins and
      zinc.
      �There are a variety of methods for nutritional
      support, ranging from assisted
      feeding to a number of different feeding tubes for
      enteral and parenteral feeding.
      �Enteral feeding is the safest, most physiologic and
      cost-effective way to supply
      nutrients, and the gut should be used whenever
      possible.
      �Patient monitoring includes daily physical
      examinations with twice daily body
      weight checks and laboratory values, such as total
      proteins, albumin, PCV, blood
      glucose, blood urea nitrogen, and urine specific
      gravity.

      Information on the critical care food from Hills:

      http://www.hillspet.com/products/product_details.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302024497&bmUID=1073247484278&PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441760567

      Canine/Feline a/d�
      For the Nutritional Management of Pets Recovering From
      Serious Illness, Accidents and Surgery Both dogs and
      cats can undergo significant changes when faced with a
      serious illness, injury or surgery. They may have
      trouble maintaining natural defenses and sparing lean
      body mass(in other words, they may be losing body
      weight from muscle or organ tissue), which can affect
      recovery. Prescription Diet� Canine/Feline a/d� has
      been specifically formulated by veterinarians to be
      fed to dogs or cats with certain debilitating
      conditions. These conditions can be affected by the
      lack of key nutrients and digestible energy.

      Ingredients
      Water, poultry liver, chicken, corn flour, casein,
      fish oil, sodium tripolyphosphate, guar gum, taurine,
      minerals (calcium carbonate, potassium chloride,
      magnesium oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper
      sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium
      selenite), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin D3
      supplement, vitamin E supplement, thiamine
      mononitrate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine
      hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin
      B12 supplement).

      As petowners we turn to this list with what many of us
      think are minor questions. We really should be asking
      our vets these questions. In the case of critical care
      nutrition there are complex calculations that are used
      to come up with both an appropriate diet and amount of
      food. As a layperson we might think that oversupplying
      nutrients cannot hurt as much as undersupplying:

      "The calculation of energy requirements of critically
      ill patients is difficult to establish. As
      a result, it has been the subject of some controversy.
      As it is usually not possible to
      measure a patient�s energy consumption directly,
      equations have been established to
      estimate the requirement. Recommendations have been
      made using resting energy
      requirements (RER), basal energy requirements (BER),
      or maintenance energy
      requirements (MER).
      ���� Basal energy requirements encompasses all the
      energy that is needed to keep the
      body �ticking over� (i.e., the energy required to meet
      the needs of cells and organs
      under certain set conditions, such as a thermoneutral
      environment, no stress, and 12-
      hour dietary rest (BER/RER = 70 x W 0.75 kcal/day).
      ���� Resting energy requirements encompasses all the
      energy required by the animal in a
      resting state and accounts for physiologic influences
      and the nutrient assimilation.
      ���� Maintenance energy requirements encompass all the
      energy required for
      maintaining normal body condition in a normal pet (MER
      = 60 x W kcal/day).
      Many authors recommend using either RER or MER and
      multiplying these by an illness
      factor to account for extra hypermetabolic
      requirements. It has been suggested that
      critically ill patients have requirements ranging from
      0.5-1.5, possibly 2.0 x RER/MER
      (Wills and Simpson 1994, Buffington 1998, Murtaugh
      1998).
      Other authors suggest that the RER of critical
      patients, determined through indirect
      calorimetry, indicates that their energy expenditure
      is only slightly higher than normal
      (Michel 1998, Thatcher 1998). Additionally, feeding
      excessive calories may result in a
      number of negative effects, such as gastrointestinal
      problems, electrolyte imbalances, and
      hepatic dysfunction (Lippert et al. 1989, Michel
      1998). Also, it is recommended that
      overfeeding be avoided to reduce the risk of
      associated complications (Buffington 1998)."

      Susan

      =====