Re: [FH] Re: Appetite issues

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9 2:07 PM
      Hello Sarah,

      In a message dated 1/9/04 9:25:37 AM, scrubbrush@... writes:

      << Wow, I wasn't aware that some these symptoms might indicate nausea.

      I always think "teeth" when I see this. It makes me think that

      perhaps Morag is feeling nauseous. >>

      It's possible that there are other contributing factors, but those symptoms
      can also indicate nausea, which is not uncommon when a cat is taking multiple
      synthetic meds.

      << she's not accepting her medicated treats anymore. >>

      That is perhaps the only drawback of medicated chews...that they can't be
      administered easily unless the cat eats them voluntarily.

      << We need to figure out how to get her meds into her - that's our

      number one problem right now. >>

      There are a couple of options to explore, if you haven't already. Meds come
      basically in 5 forms: pills (tabs and caps), suspensions, treats (chews and
      pastes), injectables, and transdermal gels. Only the last 2 bypass the digestive
      system and are useful if swallowing, upset, or malfunction are a concern.
      Suspensions *may* be easier on the GI system than pills, depending on their
      formulation (and a compounding pharmacy can customize the ingredients) and the cat's
      sensitivity level. You may want to talk with your vet (if you haven't
      already) about having the needed meds made up by a compounder to an alternative form,
      if appropriate. Each delivery has pros and cons, depending on the situation.

      << If it is nausea, what medications, either synthetic or natural, are

      safe to give to a heart kitty? >>

      The synthetic meds generally given for nausea...and you'd need to discuss
      with your vet how these might interact with your cat's tolerance specifically and
      the meds she's on...include the histamine blockers (famotidine/Pepcid,
      ranitidine/Zantac, cimetidine/Tagamet); anti-emetics (eg metoclopramide/Reglan); and
      ulcer drugs (eg sucralfate/Carafate).

      There are a number of complementary remedies...but suggesting one is less
      clear-cut b/c, unlike synthetic meds, complementary remedies are specific to the
      individual (as opposed to the disorder). That said, one traditional Western
      herb is slippery elm bark, which coats the GI tract and provides some nutrients.
      It generally comes in 300-400mg capsules (about $5 per bottle)...and the
      average daily dose for a cat is about 50-100mg. It can be given in a small amt
      (like 0.5 oz) of a favorite treat, eg pure meat baby food or canned salmon;
      transferred to a small empty gelcap (eg #3) for pilling; or made into a syrup to be
      syringed in the mouth or mixed with treats. SEB has a slightly sweetish taste
      that some cats love, others don't. If you need the syrup recipe, let me know.
      It generally does not interact with synthetic meds per se, but it should be
      given at least 30 min after meds so that it doesn't affect absorption.

      Another possibility is mint, ginger, or chamomile tea, which is made by
      steeping the herb in boiled water for about 30 min. Cool and syringe in the mouth
      (like about 3cc BID, adjusted to the individual).

      There are dozens of homeopathics that include nausea or GI distress among the
      symptoms...but the "right" one for your cat depends on the totality of the
      individual's symptoms. If you want to explore that further, I can offer
      information. // Rosemary