RE new to group, questions about air travel

  • IP
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2004
      How much atenolol is your kitty on? My cat has a series 5 murmur and he's on 6.25 mg twice a day, plus 1.25 mg of enalapril once a day.
      Talk to your vet, if your kitty gets stress being in a carrier she might need a mild tranquillizer. I would NOT PUT HER in the cargo area, that's too long of a flight. If you just have the one kitty, make her be your "carry on" and buy a carrier that can fit under the seat (soft sider Sherpa bags are popular for this and can be found on eBay for reasonable prices). I think if she travels in the plane with you and you can see her and talk to her during the flight it's not going to be really hard on her - probably less stressful than placing her in a new home. Just don't put her in the cargo area. Fly an airline that will allow her as a carry on in a proper carrier.

      Lori
      Oregon

      Message: 4
      Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 08:22:51 -0000
      From: "Karen" <sunqist7@...>
      Subject: new to group, questions about air travel

      Hi, I'm new. My husband and I moved to England last year. My cats
      were fine during their brief stay in quarentine, but a few months
      later during vaccine time, my cat Misa was found to have a heart
      murmur. It was diagnosed as HCM. Now we are moving back to Chicago
      in less than a month. Does anyone know if it's advisable for us to
      fly her back? So far she's been almost asymptomatic, just slightly
      labored breathing occasionally. She's on a heavy course of atenolol,
      though, and I'm wondering if it's worse than the vet is letting on.
      I'm going to talk to the vet on Monday, but if anyone has some
      warning about what he might say, I'd appreciate it. God, I'd rather
      find her a new home than risk killing her.

      Karen