Sweetcorn

  • Debbie Raikes-May
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2004
      Dear Everyone
      We went to see her again this morning and cannot believe how much she has changed in 24 hours. The swelling on her paws is right down - they are almost normal sized again - the worst paw is where the pad had lifted away and it clearly hurts her but she still limps on it.
      The burns are not raw and red like yesterday - they are starting to granulate and they did not re abrade them nor, hopefully, will they need to as the skin is already starting to grow over them and protect them from the air.

      She is still on oral painkillers and antibiotics but that is good- she needs to feel a little pain to make her aware of the need to rest and be careful.

      When she saw us she hobbled to the bars and started to yell her head off, interspersing this melody with a loud rumbly purr.
      They cannot believe how noisy she is for such a small kitten.!!
      She is eating well and LOVES her Carnation milk.
      Ben took some pictures of her- they are not 'pretty' but we really wanted you to see how well she is doing so you can visualise her exactly when you send healing.
      Anne got it EXACTLY right- she sent me a description of what she envisaged and it is correct to the last detail- incredibe, Anne!

      They are all just stunned that in 72 hours she is putting her front paws up, wanting to be held and lifted out of the HATED cage! I had a thick sheepskin coat on and she tried to hook her poor little paws and what is left of the claw into me so she could come away with us.

      We only stay for a few minutes at a time as she gets very worked up and wants to play and be cuddled. Right now, she needs her rest and to respect that her legs need as little movement as possible.

      People have been great sending me info on what to do for cats scalds - interstingly there ISN'T that much info on the net - so just in case it happens to anyone else I am going to post what substances seem to be the most use.
      But I hope no one ever needs it. They are:

      Cantharis and Rescue remedy, Aloe vera juice and gel, Manuka Honey, Vitamin E oil, Infusions of mettle and comfrey as a compress and Agrimony to aid long term recovery and ease frustration at immobility (which cats are not used to, are they!)
      Much love
      Debbie

    • Debbie Raikes-May
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 3, 2004
        If the pictures did not come out on the message, let me have your private email address and I will gladly send to you so you can see how well she is doing.
        Much love
        Debbie

      • Debbie Raikes-May
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 7, 2004
          I have been to see her- she is very high on pethidine (Demerol) and she is being given ampicillin.
          She had all four pads excised and the fur under her belly shaved off as that is where the 'new' burns that surfaced were.

          She had a high 105 temp and was shivering with cold despite this so she is now on a heated pad, wadded up with towels to stop her rolling as her legs are bandaged from toe to top of tummy.
          They have created a sort of artificial foot for each paw so she can stand if she wants to, sort of like being 'en pointe' but at present she is gently restrained from doing so.

          Her eyes were calm (doped!) and she is purring as she is warm now and feels safe.
          She also ate some supper which is good news. I hand fed her and she liked this room service deal.
          We have tucked her up with her catnip teddy that Auntie Lorrie sent a while back and the nurses are competing for who will stroke her during their breaks so she is not alone - she is also supervised with the other animals all night and I can stay as long as I wish.

          The paws will be re excised tomorrow and re bandaged which is less than ideal as burns need to air dry but the gunge has to be encouraged to come to the surface.
          She will stay on pethidine for a couple of days after which fentanyl patches will be used *******does anyone have any data on these ???*********
          She will now be there for at least two weeks but the next 24 hours are crucial to see if the septicaemia has spread or was just localised.
          I will let you know how she goes.
          Two things I didn't know:
          1. It is rare but a cat will grind its teeth as a sign it is in pain (she did)
          2. What we think is sweat in a hot cat may be serum (not always sticky) coming from undisclosed wounds.
          Thought someone might find this helpful
          Much love
          Debbie and Ben and Sweetcorn (I hurt!)

        • jen
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 7, 2004
            Debbie,

            I'm sorry to hear that Sweetcorn has taken a turn for the worse;
            hopefully the antibiotics will be able to tackle the infection.
            Have they discussed using a stronger antibiotic? If she is septic
            it would be a wise choice (just a thought). I would also want the
            antibiotic going IV to be sure of maximal distribution. Fentanyl
            patches are fantastic. Fentanyl is a very strong but short acting
            narcotic (stronger than demerol or morphine). The patch gives a
            constant transdermal dose so the effects don't wear off like they do
            if it's given by injection. They will shave a little patch of hair
            and stick the patch on. My vet clinic in Toronto has been using it
            for their declaws and apparently have great sucess with it.

            Please don't blame yourself for the accident. It was just that, an
            accident, and you are not to blame. Sweetcorn is lucky to have a
            mommy who loves her so much; she has pulled through crisis once,
            she'll do it again. She has that fighting spirit.

            much love,
            jen
          • Debbie Raikes-May
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 12, 2004
              Latest Sweetcorn Pics

              Dear All
              Sweetcornbaby at 11am this morning:. Front paws are well on the way to healing now - notice the new pink pads growing through - and she is able to flex her toes which shows the circulation is not impaired.
              The back two paws are pretty much the same in that they are still weepy and need covering until there is no more gunge to come out. She does not like being restricted to dragging herself round the cage at all! She meows when she sees us and purrs a lot and her appetite is undiminished! The burns on her tum are still a bit weepy and she is wearing a gel bandage with a gel painkiller in it to take the sting out. Hopefully these will start to granulate this week.
              We are going back at 5pm to get Twiglet scanned to see if she does indeed have kittens in her!! Even after two transverse spay (as they couldn't find a womb) by then Sweetcorn will have been sedated again and her bandages re changed so will post a bit later.
              Poor little thing- she is SO bored in there. Only a dim old labrador (she says) to talk to!
              Debbie

            • Debbie Raikes-May
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
                In haste as I am late for work:

                Went to see Sweetcorn this morning: she had just had her bandages changed again without the need for anaesthesia - she is eating well and was very happy to see me.
                Her back legs have less bandages on them and her front ones not at all now. She is finding it hard to stand on her back legs as they are weak through lack of use but I am assured this will come back quite fast.
                Going to see her after work at 3pm today.

                There were two cages of Sphinx kittens there! What strange looking animals - like gremlins and their skin feels really odd without fur...however, I have to say I loved them! They are purring and great fun! Has anyone else ever seen/handled this breed? They are very new to the UK
                Love
                Debx

              • Debbie Raikes-May
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 14, 2004
                  At 5pm tonight, Sweetcorn was allowed to walk the length of the surgery floor to see how her legs were doing!
                  She LOVED it and did very well! She hated going back in her cage again but the effort had tired her out.
                  We know now that there seems no damage to her circulation - that all her legs have a full blood supply - paws as well - and the pads are new, warm and VERY pink.
                  She is fur-less, practically and gets cold very fast (can I put a coat on her - serious question??) when walking about but she is SO happy to be able to move a bit.

                  I stroked her and fed her and she is scrabbling to be lifted UP , PLEASE!!!
                  Shall see her again tomorrow of course -she can now wash her own face as well - another super sign.
                  Thank you all SO SO much.
                  Debbiexxxx

                • Debbie Raikes-May
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 15, 2004
                    Today Sweetcorn has all her bandages off for the first time to allow the back paws and legs to air dry.
                    Although they look very scrubby, you can see that healing is taking place...the wounds are pink and healthy, not full of pus and they are granulating. She still has the small gel bandage on her tum and is wearing a fetching fentanyl patch (this year's fashion must have, she says!)

                    She is very fed up being in the cage and calls to be allowed out to walk round, which she will get chance to do later when surgery is finished - at present there is a lot of 'traffic' in the kennels.
                    I am going back to see her at 2pm and will re post then.
                    Please keep thinking of her!
                    Thanks
                    Debbie

                  • Debbie Raikes-May
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 17, 2004
                      ----- Hi:This morning knocked me sideways a bit. I should have more faith. That's me, plain impatient.

                      She looked so awful, so beaten- we just went back and they had re anaesthetised her and rebandaged the open sores. It was much better to see her clean and in relative comfort - I am blessed with a strong stomach but this morning I was trying not to gag...it just looked so RAW.
                      She hates that she can't move much now and has to poo and wee on a pad but she ate a whole pouch of food and fell asleep while Ben was stroking her.
                      We stayed an hour.
                      We will be back in at 9.30am tomorrow.
                      She is such a character - her purr can be heard right down the corridor. She started to lick her front paws and also played gently with my hair. It is long-ish and she delights in biting and patting at it.
                      We are very tired and we decided last night to cancel our much desired and longer for holiday which wsa due to start on Feb 17th. We would rather save the money in case the insurance doesn't cover all this (It will go up to $12,000 but if she needs grafts then it will take all that plus my car will have to go) and anyway, neither of us have the heart for a holiday while she is ill.
                      So thanks again
                      Love
                      Debbie

                    • Debbie Raikes-May
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 23, 2004
                        Hi Everyone
                        At present, Sweetcorn is out of her pen and reminding herself what fun walking round the office can be without the other cats to get in her way.
                        She just wrote to the surgery and would like me to send you a copy her letter.
                        Thanks still for all your kind thoughts-
                        Love
                        Debbie and Sweetcorn (I CAN walk by myself, you know!)

                      • Debbie Raikes-May
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 28, 2004
                          Just a quick note to say that the vet signed Sweetcorn off the ;any danger' list this morning and she doesn't even need to take antibiotics any more!!! Her skin is scaly but healing fast and she is a very happy kitten, playing with her brother again and her sisters.
                          She had 45% burns and they told me they did not expect her to survive.
                          But she had an iron will and a greedy tummy and kept holding on. The times they told me she was trying hardest were Sundays --- when we were all thinking about her (and they don't know this!) isn't that great to know??
                          BTW if you go to www.merrydancercats.btinternet.co.uk and look under Lucy's latest litter, you will see some Oci kittens, one of whom whom will hopefully be joining us later this year (thanks Ben!) , Morse's mother is also due to kitten today or tomorrow so if not from that litter then from one of the others.This is the place we got Morse from - Christine raises the best kittens!
                          And you know how much we love Morse!! Also, if any one wants Part 2 of Treacle's Story in the (UK)Cat World, shortly to come out, please let me know so I can get you one.
                          Thank you all so much-
                          Debbiexxxxxx

                        • Chris Martin
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 28, 2004
                            On Wednesday, January 28, 2004, at 08:40 AM, Debbie Raikes-May wrote:

                            > BTW if you go to www.merrydancercats.btinternet.co.uk and look under
                            > Lucy's latest litter, you will see some Oci kittens, one of whom whom
                            > will hopefully be joining us later this year (thanks Ben!) , Morse's
                            > mother is also due to kitten today or tomorrow so if not from that
                            > litter then from one of the others.This is the place we got Morse from
                            > - Christine raises the best kittens!

                            Better watch out, Debbie, or you'll end up like me: 28 cats and
                            nowhere to sit!

                            Chris
                            "My cat's job is to rest between naps."
                          • Debbie Raikes-May
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 15, 2004
                              Dear All
                              I am only on line in sporadic bursts these days - my pc keeps going down, I have started another little business )on eBay selling dresses) and my Dad had a heart attack on Easter Sunday so I have been driving a lot (he lives 80 miles away)

                              Anyway I really emailed in to say I miss you all. It is coming up for a year soon when we lost our darling Treacle.
                              It has been a very hard year.
                              Tomorrow Sweetcorn goes in for a major op to relieve her chest and back legs of scar tissue as there is pressure on the blood vessels. The odds are good but it is a very tricky op. I don't need words to tell you how worried I am, how Ben is tonight. She is now seven months old and weighs four pounds! She is a very lively, very lovable kitten and we just adore her. Morse is so in love with her that they sleep with their paws round each other and lick each other to sleep.
                              I know someof you have lost cats recently, and I am so sorry I have not written to everyone. I promise you have been in my prayers
                              Please would you find a prayer for dear Sweetcorn tomorrow who has fought so hard and loves life so much?
                              Thanks
                              Debbie

                            • Debbie Raikes-May
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 16, 2004
                                Hi
                                News on Sweetcorn is good. They excised all the scar tissue and all the hard tissue that had built up INSIDE her abdomen by her legs and was stopping her being able to move freely - and imepde circulation. She was on the table for 90 minutes.

                                She has a whole lod of staples and stitches and once again - her ginger fur has been removed!
                                She must spend all her time trying to grow it!
                                She can now 'frog leg' like a 'proper' kitten and in time will be able to jump and run.
                                What a brave girl.
                                And thank you for all your thoughts.
                                We hope to get her back on Monday all being well.
                                Much love
                                Debbie and Sweetcorn