new to group, questions about air travel

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
      Hi, I'm new. My husband and I moved to England last year. My cats
      were fine during their brief stay in quarentine, but a few months
      later during vaccine time, my cat Misa was found to have a heart
      murmur. It was diagnosed as HCM. Now we are moving back to Chicago
      in less than a month. Does anyone know if it's advisable for us to
      fly her back? So far she's been almost asymptomatic, just slightly
      labored breathing occasionally. She's on a heavy course of atenolol,
      though, and I'm wondering if it's worse than the vet is letting on.
      I'm going to talk to the vet on Monday, but if anyone has some
      warning about what he might say, I'd appreciate it. God, I'd rather
      find her a new home than risk killing her.

      Karen
    • Tori Orr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
        > Message: 4
        > Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 08:22:51 -0000
        > From: "Karen" <sunqist7@...>
        > Subject: new to group, questions about air travel
        >
        > Hi, I'm new. My husband and I moved to England last year. My cats
        > were fine during their brief stay in quarentine, but a few months
        > later during vaccine time, my cat Misa was found to have a heart
        > murmur. It was diagnosed as HCM. Now we are moving back to Chicago
        > in less than a month. Does anyone know if it's advisable for us to
        > fly her back? So far she's been almost asymptomatic, just slightly
        > labored breathing occasionally. She's on a heavy course of atenolol,
        > though, and I'm wondering if it's worse than the vet is letting on.
        > I'm going to talk to the vet on Monday, but if anyone has some
        > warning about what he might say, I'd appreciate it. God, I'd rather
        > find her a new home than risk killing her.
        >
        > Karen

        Hi Karen, I was in Japan with the same question two years ago. I'm so glad
        that despite the risk I brought my baby home with me because he did survive
        and I would've missed him so much I would've been in misery. Quaranteen was
        bad enough. Now I think death will be the only thing that will separate us.
        Certain airlines will let you take pets in the cabin with you if you have a
        note from your vet regarding the animals sensitive condition...it is far too
        risky to put her in the hold. Just follow the airlines instructions about
        getting a collapsible carrier that will fit under the seat. I put super
        absorbent diapers in the bottom of the carrier as a liner, tucked in a towel
        with my scent around him, gave him a little bit of Rescue Remedy with a
        dropper before we left the house and also had one of those heat in the
        microwave hot pouches that hold heat for two or three hours and put it in a
        pillowcase he was used to sleeping on. He slept nearly the whole way (and it
        was a very long flight!) Make sure you get a seat that has extra leg room (I
        even decided to cash in my miles and fly first class so I'd have enough room
        to move around in and because they cut first class passengers a little more
        slack with special requests than they do regular passengers. )

        It's up to you of course, but the risk (in my opinion) of your kitty missing
        you enough after you've left England could even worsen his condition by
        increasing his anxiety. I was afraid of my cats dying, but not of an
        emotional broken heart <smile>

        ::tori
      • turkishangoraathumanesociety
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
          Being
          a Flight Attendant for 9 years, I can advise you with all my heart
          (and this goes for everyone who travels by air domestically &
          internationally)...Never EVER fly an animal, unless you bring it in a
          carrier INSIDE the cabin with you. I would strongly suggest a soft
          carrier bag, as all airplane's dimensions are different, reagrdless
          of what they list on their websites. Obviously, never sedate a cat
          for this, especially an HCM cat. I have learned WAY too much while I
          was a FA to EVER fly a pet in the cargo area. Good luck, I hope
          kitty will be okay...

> [...]
          the
          > microwave hot pouches that hold heat for two or three hours and put
          it in a
          > pillowcase he was used to sleeping on. He slept nearly the whole
          way (and it
          > was a very long flight!) Make sure you get a seat that has extra
          leg room (I
          > even decided to cash in my miles and fly first class so I'd have
          enough room
          > to move around in and because they cut first class passengers a
          little more
          > slack with special requests than they do regular passengers. )
          >
          > It's up to you of course, but the risk (in my opinion) of your
          kitty missing
          > you enough after you've left England could even worsen his
          condition by
          > increasing his anxiety. I was afraid of my cats dying, but not of an

        • jen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2004
            Karen,

            I would check with your vet but I give Deagan 25 mg (4mg/kg) of
            gravol before we go in the car; he gets very stressed and carsick
            and my cardiologist recommended the gravol. It worked great for the
            last trip, no vomiting/bowel movements and much less crying. The
            sedative effect is a definite bonus.
            I would consider how good your kitty is at travelling. My old
            cat loved the car, he would sit and look out the window but Deagan
            is so stressed I couldn't imagine him on a plane for hours, so I
            think that you have to consider your individual kitty

            Good luck!

            jen, deagan and kira the dog