Re: [FH] thrombosis

  • Michelle Waters
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2004
      Hi Teri,

      Our cat Goldenrod threw a clot on October 22 and he is still with us. Every case is individual, many cats with thrombosis don't survive but some do, it will depend on the progression of Sasha's HCM. Are both of her legs affected? What is she being given to prevent another clot? We've been giving Goldie an injection of lovenox every morning since he got home from the hospital. I also would strongly recommend that you give a therapeutic dose (30 mg) of CoQ10 to Sasha every day; the liquid form is preferable because it's more absorbable. I think this has helped Goldie a lot. Goldie's HCM is severe, and I believe that he is here today because of a combination of excellent vet care, a strong immune system from being raised holistically and a ton of love. In our boy's case he clearly wants to be alive right now, and that's been the case all along. I believe that we can tell when an animal gives up and euthanasia would be kinder.

      If Sasha survives the next couple of weeks it may take many weeks for her to get full use of her back legs back. Our Goldie is just now returning to full use of his right leg. His left leg was much more affected; he lost the calf muscle from lack of blood flow and now hobbles around with a big wet-to-dry bandage on his leg. But he gets up on the bed, goes up and down the stairs and into the tub to drink from the faucet, and most importantly he is clearly happy.

      Keep us posted on how Sasha is doing, and don't forget to take good care of yourself because being a caretaker is really draining.

      blessings to you and Sasha,
      Michelle
      -