Sweetcorn at 1530

  • Debbie Raikes-May
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2004
      Hi
      We just got back. She is indeed a sorry sight. No fur now on lower body and all burns exposed - red raw and meaty looking. Horrible. But there are some white patches as well where granulation of the healthy kind is already taking place. Funnily enough the 'worst' burns are the tiny ones which are deep rather than the big 'patchy' ones which are thin.
      She is very sore and now she is on oral painkillers she can indeed 'feel' the soreness more. But apparently this too is a good thing as she will know she has to sit quietly and sleep rather than bounce around like she was yesterday when high on the opiates.She is no longer on the iv drip.
      She is very trembly, which is her coming off the iv painkillers (cold turkey? cold kitty!). and when she saw us she 'BrrrMEOWED' and purred and wanted to be held which was heartbreaking and lovely all at the same time.

      We didn't stay long as she tries to play and wants to be picked up, but as we left she painfully hobbled back to her sweater and sank down.
      She is eating and drinking again and the nurses are making a lot of fuss of her as she is the only 'in patient' and is very cute indeed.
      The claws may or may not grow back but the claw beds are not infected so that is very good news.
      Her pads had peeled back like a flower petals and are totally raw -but again - they will heal fast, we are told.

      Her feet were a lot less swollen than yesterday - amazingly so. Everyone kept saying she is an absolute miracle cat and I have you all to thank for this miracle. She has only been injured for 48 hours and they simply can't believe her progress. (We know why!)

      She will stay there for at least a week and maybe two.
      I am so grateful we have pet insurance. I am not a sales person but if any of you don't have it, may I urge you to enquire! Her entire bill may come to around $10,000 if she stays two weeks and we will only have to pay the first $250.
      All that for a premium of $10 month. Thank goodness I have insured them all as we got them as companion animals.

      Don't know yet if she will need more de abrasion tomorrow, another GA if so - but she has her 'own' nurse with her by her cage ALL day and they ARE supervised at night which I know from listening to other's experiences, actually isn't all that common.
      So thanks again for all your prayers, phone calls and messages. I can't ask for better friends than any of you and neither can Sweetcorn. Morse is eating again today which is good and we have told him she will be home 'soon'. Hope he understands. We will take a picture of her tomorrow at the hospital and post it when we get home so you can see what you have all achieved.
      Much love and thanks
      Debbie