Re: G.A's

  • jen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
      Debbie,

      What a tough way to start 2004. We are all pulling for
      Sweetcorn.

      In general, kittens have few problems with generals. They will
      most likely "mask her down", get her to sleep with a anaesthetic mask
      only, not use an injectable induction agent. This is what we do with
      children in the hospital as well. Once she is asleep with the gas,
      they will intubate her and maintain her on the gas. The dose is
      fairly standard, it is a percentage of the air she is breathing in,
      so little kittens take little breaths and get less anaesthetic than
      big dogs. With the narcotics she is on, she shouldn't get too
      stressed about it all, they tend to be anxiolytics (anti anxiety) as
      well.
      The biggest risk factors with burns is irreversible shock,
      caused by fluid loss through the skin and infection. It sounds like
      they are on top of that with the fluids and antibiotics. The shock
      is the biggest threat in the first 72-96 hours and the infection is a
      threat until she gets some of her skin integrity back. The fact that
      she is so bright and fiesty and even trying to groom!! Those are
      amazing signs.
      As for care after she comes home, they will have to be very
      careful with most of the creams because she will lick them off. We
      usually put silver impregnated bandages on people, not too feasible
      for a kitten though!

      Kittens are really tough. I have often see kids (people!) live
      through accidents that would take an adult months to overcome, they
      bounce back like no tommorow.

      Keep us updated! The fiesty little girl sounds like she's holding
      her own.

      jen