G.A's

  • Debbie Raikes-May
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
      Does anyone know what risks GA's are in cats as small (three pounds) and young (3 months) as SWeetcorn?
      She will have one a day for five days while they de abrade the dead skin and dress her paws.
      Also (looking ahead, I hope) what are your views and info on foods needed to coax her to eat and help her body rebuild - and how to avoid keloid tissue...any ideas will be warmly apprecaited
      Love
      Debbie

    • jen
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
        Debbie,

        What a tough way to start 2004. We are all pulling for
        Sweetcorn.

        In general, kittens have few problems with generals. They will
        most likely "mask her down", get her to sleep with a anaesthetic mask
        only, not use an injectable induction agent. This is what we do with
        children in the hospital as well. Once she is asleep with the gas,
        they will intubate her and maintain her on the gas. The dose is
        fairly standard, it is a percentage of the air she is breathing in,
        so little kittens take little breaths and get less anaesthetic than
        big dogs. With the narcotics she is on, she shouldn't get too
        stressed about it all, they tend to be anxiolytics (anti anxiety) as
        well.
        The biggest risk factors with burns is irreversible shock,
        caused by fluid loss through the skin and infection. It sounds like
        they are on top of that with the fluids and antibiotics. The shock
        is the biggest threat in the first 72-96 hours and the infection is a
        threat until she gets some of her skin integrity back. The fact that
        she is so bright and fiesty and even trying to groom!! Those are
        amazing signs.
        As for care after she comes home, they will have to be very
        careful with most of the creams because she will lick them off. We
        usually put silver impregnated bandages on people, not too feasible
        for a kitten though!

        Kittens are really tough. I have often see kids (people!) live
        through accidents that would take an adult months to overcome, they
        bounce back like no tommorow.

        Keep us updated! The fiesty little girl sounds like she's holding
        her own.

        jen