Re: [FH] thrombosis

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
      --- terifari <sweetdrmr9@...> wrote:
      > My 3 year cat, Sasha, that I adopted from the SPCA
      > this past summer,
      > awoke Monday unable to use her hind legs. A visit
      > to the vet and
      > $500 later I know that she has an enlarged heart
      > that is beating
      > improperly and saddle thrombosis. Her vet has
      > started her on 3
      > different meds and baby aspirin to see if we can get
      > the condition
      > under control but can't guarantee that she will get
      > mobility back.
      > As of right now I am carrying her to the litter box
      > and making sure
      > food and water are right next to her whenever I can
      > coax her to eat.
      > I guess I'm posting this to see if anyone here can
      > offer words of
      > encouragement or advice. I'm a big believer in
      > quality of life vs
      > longevity and don't want to selfishly keep her with
      > me if she is
      > going to be unwell and unhappy. I had to have my 17
      > year old cat put
      > to sleep just a year ago and it is hard to watch
      > another little
      > suffer. Any words of wisdom?

      Very sorry you have to be here. I don't have personal
      experience with saddle thrombosis, but have done a lot
      of reading of articles meant for vets and collateral
      circulation often develops. Here is a link:

      From:
      ARTERIAL THROMBOEMBOLISM
      http://maxshouse.com/arterial_thromboembolism.htm

      In cases of saddle embolism, motor ability may begin
      to return in one or both legs within 10 to 14 days. By
      3 weeks, significant motor function (i.e., hock
      extension and flexion) has often returned, typically
      better in one leg than in the other. Motor function
      may be completely normal by 4 to 6 weeks, although a
      conscious proprioceptive deficit or conformational
      abnormality (e.g., extreme hock flexion) may persist
      in one leg Unfortunately, most cats experience
      additional thromboembolic episodes within days to
      months of the initial event, although survivals of
      several years, including repeat embolic episodes, have
      been observed. In one large retrospective study, 34 of
      92 cats (37 percent) survived an initial event of
      saddle embolism. Follow-up
      information was available for 22 of these 34 cats, and
      an average long-term survival of 11.5 months was
      recorded .

      Susan

      =====

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree