Re: [FH] "Hi" & SODIUM RESTRICTED CAT FOODS?

  • turkishangoraathumanesociety
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2003
      Yes...I can get info to you on that in a few days...but the quick
      version is that Science diet, eukanuba, Iams, and all of those brands
      that we have always beeen so conditioned to think are great, have the
      most disgusting fillers imaginable in them. Also, rather than using
      real whole meat products, they use by-products (which basicly mean
      all parts of the animal ground up beaks, feet, etc). They also use a
      lot of corn and corn meal, which are really hard on the digestive
      system (not to be gross, but think about the after results when you
      eat corn sometimes). When I get some more time I will send you some
      great links. Also the company that makes Innova & California Natural
      www.naturapet.com , has a lot of great info on their site. Yes, I
      know that seems biased, but if you are wanting to know what each
      ingredient on a pet food label means, they have a great section that
      defines each. There are also more links on there to the organization
      (forget the name) that oversees/regulates pet food, and there is more
      great info there. Basicly, since cats are "obligate carnivores" they
      need meat (real meat), and the sad truth is that Science Diet, among
      many, many others is loaded with these gross fillers that just pile
      in carbs...Kind of as if we ate nothing but Burger King all day,
      every day. Ask any vet to tell the truth, and if honest, they will
      tell you that the extent of their studies that focus on nutrition is
      little to none. The ones who have had a little, go to class seminars
      sponsored and run by companies with the big $$$ such as Science Diet
      (aka Hills). That can be verified just by requesting the curriculum
      of any vet school. It's really sad...I only in the past couple of
      years started researching it myself, and you really have to...it
      really is appalling to find out you've been paying all of this extra
      $$$ to buy your pets the "best" food, only to find out what all those
      ingredients really mean. I was on the Aol boards for quite a while,
      and people would talk about all these "crazy/obscure" sounding food
      names, and I would kind of yawn skip over it, and write them off
      as "crazy hippies." Then one day I actually did my own research and
      was floored. I strongly suggest it to anyone who cares about the
      health of their pets, because you WILL be shocked when you understand
      what the names on those labels mean.

      Steph <ravin> wrote:
      If you have any info on what makes Innova, Nutro, or California
      Natural better than Science Diet or other vet formulated brands, I'd
      be very interested.. curious to see the analytical breakdown.