Sweetcorn update

  • Debbie Raikes-May
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003
      She is in a drip and steroids and painkillers. Her pads are badly burned and she has some ulcers on the inside of her legs and tail. The vet said we won't know for a day or so if it has affected her circulation or not so we have to wait.
      If she makes it through tomight she has a better chance.
      I don't know what else to say. I don't know how to find the strength to wait. I am a trerible terrible catmother. I left the bathroom door slightly open .
      debbie

    • darkblueowl
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
        Debbie:

        You are certainly not a "terrible cat mother" -- accidents happen.
        But this accident should be a reminder to everyone to check the
        temperature of the hot water in your home and if it's too hot, turn
        it down to a safe level.

        If you live in an apartment building where you don't control this
        yourself, complain to the landlord. I did this a few years ago, when
        the hot water in my New York City apartment suddenly began running at
        very close to the boiling point -- I checked it with a candy
        thermometer, so I could tell them the exact temperature. When I
        pointed out to the landlord what sort of damage award they'd be
        ordered by a court to pay, in the event that someone was burned by
        this ridiculously hot water (and there were two families with
        toddlers in the building), they got someone out to fix the problem
        quickly.

        There is just no reason for any residential building to have running
        water that's so hot it can cause serious burns. If the building has
        a steam or hot water heating system, then a separate hot water heater
        is needed for the tap water.

        Have a safe New Year!

        Dwyn
      • Debbie Raikes-May
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 18, 2004
          Hi
          Ben and I feel even sadder today. Her paws are healing nicely, pink pads showing through - but her tummy is one expanse of wet, slimy skin sloughing mess.
          We are assured it will look worse before it looks better - and they have rebandaged it - but she hates this and last night actually got her bandages off!
          In herself she is brighter and walks around when she can - they don't want her to do this though as it breaks open the skin again - so she is bandaged to remain immobile when possible.
          She is now very very unhappy and her miawos are not painfilled as much as lonely. I think maybe it is harder for her seeing us and then thinking we are taking her home, only to have her go away.

          I find a couple of the nurses very casual, too - I actually had to remind one to wash her hands after she had touched a dog before she touched Sweetcorn. Surely I shouldn't have to do that!
          She doesn't get breakfast until she has had her bandage changed in case she needs a GA and some mornings if the surgery is busy, this means she doesn't get to eat till eleven. Far too late when she is already bored and unhappy and HUNGRY.
          iI am so worried about her - it would really help me if any of you could think of questions to ask the head vet when Ben and I meet with him on Wednesday evening this week.
          I think as much as she is in pain physically at present - so she is mentally and that really tears me up.
          Thanks so much everyone,
          Love
          Debbie