Re: [FH] ground dandelion root as diuretic - dosage?

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003
      Hi Sarah,

      In a message dated 12/30/03 9:47:33 PM, sarahjmccoy_sj@... writes:

      << Thanks to someone on this list, dandelion extract was recommended to

      me as a safe, gentle diuretic which I might be able to give Piglet. >>

      By extract, do you mean a tincture (liquid)? In general, it doesn't matter if
      you use a tincture or the fresh/dried herb, eg in the form of capsules or
      infusions (altho the extraction process used to make a tincture is beneficial in
      releasing the properties of some herbs).

      << Unfortunately, here in Australia, it's extremely difficult to find

      dandelion extract, but I did manage to pick up some dandelion

      capsules, which contain 500mg of ground dandelion root per capsule. >>

      Traditionally, it is dandelion *leaves* that are used as a diuretic. The
      *root* contains components that act principally on the liver and digestive system.

      << Now all I need to know is the dosage to start him on - does anyone

      have any idea? I know his weight, so I can calculate it out if

      someone can give me a mg/lb or whatever... thanks in advance >>

      Doses given for dandelion leaves for humans vary widely; the *starting point*
      for calculating animal dose is *generally* 1/10 human dose, but that depends
      on the animal and the herb. Do you have access to Mary Wulff-Tilford's "Herbs
      for Pets"?? Another place to look is www.holisticat.com; the site owner had a
      cat with cardiac disease who used dandelion, among other Western herbs and
      complementary remedies. // Rosemary
    • Deena
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003
        Hi Sarah,

        I've been using dandelion for about 2 weeks now and am happy with
        it's results as a diuretic. Mr Pepe still gets lasix, but my hope
        is to gradually decrease the lasix and rely mostly on dandelion.
        I'll attempt to muddy the water some more based on what has already
        been said.

        "it is dandelion *leaves* that are used as a diuretic. The *root*
        contains components that act principally on the liver and digestive
        system."
        True. For a diuretic, the leaves is what you want. They are also
        an appetite stimulant. The root is a good liver tonic and the
        flowers an analgesic. I've had trouble finding just leaves in
        tincture or pills, so I use a tincture made from whole plant and Mr
        Pepe tested very strong for this product. It's from Eclectic
        Institute and I found it in a local health food store. I squirt
        about 1/4 dropper in his mouth about 2-3 times per day (or when I
        remember). Another thing to look for is a non-alcohol liquid since
        Cats typically don't like the taste of alcohol. These usually
        contain glycerine and are commonly called "Glycerite".

        If you can find dried leaves, according to Mary Wulff-
        Tilford's "Herbs for Pets" you want to give 1 teaspoon per 20 lbs.
        She recommends making a liquid since the nutrients are absorbed
        better. For pills, the 1/10th human dose is a good guide.
        Generally adult human dosages are based on a 150 lb person.

        Where lasix will work immediately, it will take awhile to see the
        diuretic effects of dandelion. But from what I understand,
        dandelion is much easier on the kidneys and it highly nutritious.

        Good Luck,

        Deena
      • Michelle Waters
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003
          Hi Deena,

          I'd be interested in transitioning Goldenrod off of Lasix and onto Dandelion as well. Do you have a veterinarian guiding you with this? I'm not sure how long I would need to give the dandelion before slowing down on the Lasix. We give Goldie 1/2 a Lasix tab daily (I think it's 6.25 mg total daily). I'd rather have him on an herbal diuretic but I haven't done anything about it because I don't have any guidance (our internist, while wonderful, doesn't have experience with herbs, and our holistic vet is not local, we consult with her on the phone).

          Thanks, and Happy New Year,
          Michelle

          ---
          view my Eco/Animal art at: http://www.michellewatersart.com