Re: Enalapril Question

  • jen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2003
      Eln,

      Enalapril is another one of the ACE inhibitor drugs. It is
      used to treat congestive heart failure and high blood pressure. It
      is excreted primarily by the liver and secondarily by the kidneys.
      A rare side effect may be reduction of blood flow to the kidneys to
      such an extent that they may fail. However, this generally only
      occurs when the kidneys are already stressed or weak or a diuretic
      (lasix, hydrochlorothiazide or spironolactone) is being given
      concurrently. Every medication has potential side effects, and for
      a kitty with no previous renal disease enalapril seems to be a safe
      choice. The vets and doctors know *way, way* more than I do, so the
      benefits must be outweighed more than a possible rare side effect,
      so they choose to prescribe that drug.

      The second degree AV block is an incomplete block between the
      SA node (main pacemaker node in atrium) and the ventricles. These
      are joined by the AV (atrioventricular node, aka bundle, tract ...)
      There are two types of second degree blocks, type I and II. In type
      I, the time between the SA node firing and the ventricles responding
      gets longer and longer until one of the SA nodes signals do not get
      though and the beat is "dropped" and the ventricle do not fire or
      contract. In type II, the time between the SA node firing and
      ventricular response is always the same, but random beats are
      dropped by the ventricle, the electrical impulse gets through only
      some of the time. My suspicion (which could be completely wrong!)
      is that your kitties heart is in AV block because of the enlargement
      which is interfering with its electrical conduction.

      I hope smokey does well on his new med!

      jen, deagan, who threw up tonight ;-(( and kira the dog