TC

  • the chunns
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 24, 2001
      Hi - just an update on TC. He has been doing quite
      well since the night I nearly killed him. Perhaps his
      heart got a much needed rest! At any rate we are
      lucky he came out of it. I finally talked to the vet who
      has handled his cardiac problems and she feels we
      should do nothing different (he takes lasix and enalapril
      every day and baby asa twice a week) It is her contention
      that his heart disease is so bad that since he is overall
      doing ok we should consider quality of life versus
      quantity. And to a point I agree with her. But after reading
      all the posts today, I am wondering if possibly we could
      have both. Does anyone know of a good cardiologist
      in the Sacramento area?

      Pat

    • Jeanne Warner
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 25, 2001
        Hi!

        I am on the east coast and have no actual experience with any
        cardiologists in California but here is a list of Cardiology
        Diplomats taken from the American College of Veterinary Internal
        Medicines with a specialty in cardiology from their list.

        California
        Stephen J. Ettinger
        California Animal Hospital
        1736 S. Sepulveda Blvd.
        Los Angeles, CA 90025
        Tel: 310-479-3336
        Fax: 310-477-7989
        E-mail: vettinger@... Richard D. Kienle

        Mission Valley Veterinary Cardiology
        PO Box 1499
        Gilroy, CA 95021
        Tel: 408-842-2899
        Fax: 408-842-6080
        Email: hartvet@...

        Mark D. Kittleson
        Dept. of Medicine & Epidemiology
        School of Veterinary Medicine
        University of California
        Davis, CA 95616
        Tel: 916-752-7294
        Fax: 916-752-0414
        Email: corvet@... Michael Lesser

        Department of Medicine
        Coast Pet Clinic
        1131 10th Street
        Hermosa Beach, CA 90254
        Tel: 310-575-5656
        Fax: 310-575-5658
        E-mail: mblesser@...

        Robert F. Pensinger
        Veterinary Post-Graduate Institute
        27 Pasatiempo Drive
        Santa Cruz, CA 95060
        Tel: 408-429-9299
        Fax: 408-429-5748
        E-mail: vpipen@... Paul D. Pion

        Veterinary Information Network
        1411 W. Covell Blvd., #106-131
        Davis, CA 95616
        Tel: 800-700-4636
        Fax: 916-756-6035
        Email: pdp1@...

        John R. Reed
        Highlands Veterinary Hospital
        3451 Elkhorn Blvd.
        North Highlands, CA 95660
        Tel: 916-332-2845
        Fax: 916-332-3710
        E-mail: jreeddvm@... Edward A. Rhode

        Dept. of Medicine & Epidemiology
        School of Veterinary Medicine
        University of California
        Davis, CA 95616
        Tel: 916-752-6671
        Fax: 916-752-0414
        E-mail: earhode@...

        Lori Siemens
        Sacramento Veterinary Surgical Services
        9700 Business Park Drive, Suite #404
        Sacramento, CA 95827
        Tel: 916-362-3111
        FAX: 916-362-0190
        E-mail: lsiemens@... William P. Thomas

        Dept. of VM:Medicine & Epidemiology
        School of Veterinary Medicine
        University of California
        Davis, CA 95616-8737
        Tel: 916-752-6962/1393
        Fax: 916-752-0414
        E-mail: wpthomas@...

        Hope this helps!
        Jeanne

        --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, "the chunns" <chunn@j...> wrote:
        > Hi - just an update on TC. He has been doing quite
        > well since the night I nearly killed him. Perhaps his
        > heart got a much needed rest! At any rate we are
        > lucky he came out of it. I finally talked to the vet who
        > has handled his cardiac problems and she feels we
        > should do nothing different (he takes lasix and enalapril
        > every day and baby asa twice a week) It is her contention
        > that his heart disease is so bad that since he is overall
        > doing ok we should consider quality of life versus
        > quantity. And to a point I agree with her. But after reading
        > all the posts today, I am wondering if possibly we could
        > have both. Does anyone know of a good cardiologist
        > in the Sacramento area?
        >
        > Pat

      • Rat
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 25, 2001
          From: "the chunns" <chunn@...>

          > Does anyone know of a good cardiologist
          > in the Sacramento area?

          Dr. Richard Kienle did our cat Tenshi's ultrasound. He's
          apparently out of Gilroy, but he travels around with his
          equipment and I believe he has some affiliation with UC
          Davis so he might come to Sacramento. Here's his information:

          Dr. Richard Kienle
          Mission Valley Veterinary Cardiology
          PO Box 1499
          Gilroy. CA 95021
          (408) 842-2899

          If he can't help he might be able to recommend someone
          closer who can.

          Hope this helps,
          --Robyn
        • SHBR (Stephen Brown)
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 25, 2001
            I dealt with Dr. Karen Sanderson at the UCDavis Vet School for Pekoe. She is
            one of the cardiac residents but I don't know if she is board certified
            (probably not) - of course other staff members e.g. Kittleson are (he may
            not be easy to get an appointment with tho). Her number (the general VMTH
            number) 530 752 1393.

            Steve

            Hi - just an update on TC. He has been doing quite
            well since the night I nearly killed him. Perhaps his
            heart got a much needed rest! At any rate we are
            lucky he came out of it. I finally talked to the vet who
            has handled his cardiac problems and she feels we
            should do nothing different (he takes lasix and enalapril
            every day and baby asa twice a week) It is her contention
            that his heart disease is so bad that since he is overall
            doing ok we should consider quality of life versus
            quantity. And to a point I agree with her. But after reading
            all the posts today, I am wondering if possibly we could
            have both. Does anyone know of a good cardiologist
            in the Sacramento area?

            Pat

          • Mike & Linda Irrgang
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 25, 2001
              http://www.vetheart.com/bystate.htm is a website with a list of
              cardiologists by state...i don't know which city in california is nearest to
              sacramento....but a good cardiologist is absolutely worth the
              commute....good luck to both of you!

              linda and pum

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 25, 2001
                http://www.vetheart.com/bystate.htm

                this is a list of cardiologists in CA...i'm not sure which one is closet to
                sacramento.

                good luck!

                linda and pum

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 26, 2001
                  Linda, thanks you for the info and for the good thoughts!

                  Pat
                  > cardiologists by state...i don't know which city in california is nearest
                  > sacramento....but a good cardiologist is absolutely worth the
                  > commute....good luck to both of you!
                  >
                  > linda and pum

                • the chunns
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 26, 2001
                    Robyn, thanks for this information!

                    Pat
                    > Dr. Richard Kienle did our cat Tenshi's ultrasound. He's
                    > apparently out of Gilroy, but he travels around with his
                    > equipment and I believe he has some affiliation with UC
                    > Davis so he might come to Sacramento. Here's his information:
                    >
                    > Dr. Richard Kienle
                    > Mission Valley Veterinary Cardiology
                    > PO Box 1499
                    > Gilroy. CA 95021
                    > (408) 842-2899
                    >
                    > If he can't help he might be able to recommend someone
                    > closer who can.
                    >
                    > Hope this helps,
                    > --Robyn

                  • the chunns
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 26, 2001
                      Steve, thanks for this information. It appears that UC Davis
                      is the place to go. I have been dealing with an excellent vet
                      at Loomis Basin Vet Clinic - not a cardiologist however.

                      Pat
                      > I dealt with Dr. Karen Sanderson at the UCDavis Vet School for Pekoe. She
                      is
                      > one of the cardiac residents but I don't know if she is board certified
                      > (probably not) - of course other staff members e.g. Kittleson are (he may
                      > not be easy to get an appointment with tho). Her number (the general VMTH
                      > number) 530 752 1393.
                      >
                      > Steve

                    • the chunns
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001
                        Dear Group,

                        First let me say thank you for all the help,encouragement and
                        information you have shared with us over the last few months.
                        I have learned a great deal and feel close to all of you and
                        your kitties.

                        TC lost his battle with heart disease early yesterday morning.
                        He threw another clot in his right front leg and it was obviously
                        different than the other two times. He was far more painful,
                        could barely walk and was having a few other symptoms that
                        made my husband and I realize it was time to let him go. As
                        you know, there is no decision harder to make, but I feel we
                        did the right thing for our boy whom we loved so much. The
                        last two weeks have been a gift - he was feeling so much better -
                        was more active,eating a little better,wanting to go outside when
                        the weather was ok - it was a good quality time and I had taken
                        time off work so I was with him almost constantly. I somehow had
                        the feeling it was the lull before the storm so to speak - and I guess
                        that was true.

                        He was a wonderful cat - came with our property when we bought
                        our place 10 years ago. The previous owners took him with them,but
                        he came back on his own (about a 15 mile trip - he was a tomcat in
                        those days and so had his own agenda, I guess, and a need to get
                        back to his own territory)> After he was neutered, he just moved right
                        in with us - he had never been an inside cat, but in he came and it
                        became obvious that if we moved away, he would stay with us forever,
                        because his focus had changed and he loved us as much as we loved
                        him. He was very family oriented - went on walks with us, loved the dogs,
                        hung out at the barn with me and the horses - just was with me all the
                        time - and on my lap at nite. It was a privilege having him in our family
                        and I can't tell you how much I will miss him. Looking at his bed next
                        to the woodstove where he spent most of the last few months just makes
                        me cry.

                        I want to stay with the list for a while - you all seem like friends now and I
                        want to know how all the kitties continue to do. It is so nice to have been
                        a part of a group who feels like I do about their critters.

                        Thanks for listening.

                        Pat

                      • Laura Penny
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001
                          Pat,

                          I'm so sorry to hear this news. You gave TC far more than most cat "owners"
                          do, and I know TC paid you back many times over.

                          I have a little tortie in heaven who we also released after a series of
                          blood clots left her weak and partially paralyzed. I don't doubt we made the
                          right decision. I do know she's still with us in spirit, and I hope you can
                          feel TC's spirit around you.

                          Every night my daughter looks for the first star so she can see our little
                          tortie. Tonight, perhaps you can look for the first star in your area and
                          "see" TC.

                          I'm so sorry.

                          Laura

                          >First let me say thank you for all the help,encouragement and
                          >information you have shared with us over the last few months.
                          >I have learned a great deal and feel close to all of you and
                          >your kitties.
                          >
                          >TC lost his battle with heart disease early yesterday morning.
                          >He threw another clot in his right front leg and it was obviously
                          >different than the other two times. He was far more painful,
                          >could barely walk and was having a few other symptoms that
                          >made my husband and I realize it was time to let him go. As
                          >you know, there is no decision harder to make, but I feel we
                          >did the right thing for our boy whom we loved so much. The
                          >last two weeks have been a gift - he was feeling so much better -
                          >was more active,eating a little better,wanting to go outside when
                          >the weather was ok - it was a good quality time and I had taken
                          >time off work so I was with him almost constantly. I somehow had
                          >the feeling it was the lull before the storm so to speak - and I guess
                          >that was true.
                          >
                          >He was a wonderful cat - came with our property when we bought
                          >our place 10 years ago. The previous owners took him with them,but
                          >he came back on his own (about a 15 mile trip - he was a tomcat in
                          >those days and so had his own agenda, I guess, and a need to get
                          >back to his own territory)> After he was neutered, he just moved right
                          >in with us - he had never been an inside cat, but in he came and it
                          >became obvious that if we moved away, he would stay with us forever,
                          >because his focus had changed and he loved us as much as we loved
                          >him. He was very family oriented - went on walks with us, loved the dogs,
                          >hung out at the barn with me and the horses - just was with me all the
                          >time - and on my lap at nite. It was a privilege having him in our family
                          >and I can't tell you how much I will miss him. Looking at his bed next
                          >to the woodstove where he spent most of the last few months just makes
                          >me cry.
                          >
                          >I want to stay with the list for a while - you all seem like friends now
                          and I
                          >want to know how all the kitties continue to do. It is so nice to have
                          been
                          >a part of a group who feels like I do about their critters.
                          >
                          >Thanks for listening.
                          >
                          >Pat

                        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001
                            Dear Pat,

                            How wonderful that you got to spend the last time with TC: somehow you knew
                            and he did too that it was going to be his time....how also so wonderful for
                            him that he found you and got to spend the last ten wonderful years of his
                            life with you. He sounds like a really incredibly special guy....

                            I will be thinkingof you and TC and you will be in my thoughts and
                            prayers....

                            Lots of white lites coming your way,

                            Linda and the boys

[...]

                          • Jonathan Rosenberg
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001
                              I'm so very sorry to hear of TC's passing. I'll ask our boy Lynx to welcome
                              him to the bridge & make him feel at home (Lynx threw blood clots 3 separate
                              times). I'm sure they'll find the best places to relax (& get into
                              trouble).

                              You & TC were so lucky to be in each other's lives. But I know how much
                              this hurts. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

                            • Voula Augerinos
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001
                                Dear Pat,
                                please accept my deepest condolences on your loss of your Beloved TC.
                                My heart goes out to you at this difficult time. You clearly shared a great
                                love with TC. God Bless you all.

                                http://www.geocities.com/vaugerinos/
                                (Sachie's tribute page, and photos of Sachie and Pebbles.)

                                ----------

                              • the chunns
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001
                                  Dear Linda and the Boys,

                                  Thank you for your thoughts,prayers and white lites - your kindness is
                                  a comfort to me.

                                • the chunns
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001
                                    Dear JR,

                                    Thank you for your kind message - I am happy to think of TC and
                                    Lynx joining up - two such great guys!

                                    Pat
                                    > I'm so very sorry to hear of TC's passing. I'll ask our boy Lynx to
                                    welcome
                                    > him to the bridge & make him feel at home (Lynx threw blood clots 3
                                    separate
                                    > times). I'm sure they'll find the best places to relax (& get into
                                    > trouble).
                                    >
                                    > You & TC were so lucky to be in each other's lives. But I know how much
                                    > this hurts. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  • the chunns
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001
                                      Voula,

                                      You are such a love - thank you for your kindness and for being
                                      such a great kitty Mom!

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001

                                        Yeah, but I worry about what the place may look like when we get there.
                                        Those 2 could be dangerous together :-)

                                        --
                                        JR
                                        & Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001
                                          Laura,

                                          Thank you for your kind message - I am sure TC's spirit will always
                                          be around us. And I like the idea of the first star - I will be out there
                                          looking tonite!

                                        • jwarner310@yahoo.com
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001
                                            I am very sorry to hear that you have lost TC. That was great that
                                            you had some time home to spend with him while he was doing better.
                                            Please do stay on the board and help all of us with our cats. We need
                                            you! It sure does seem that our kitties are 1 big family!

                                            Take care,
                                            Jeanne & Dom

                                          • Anyes Moscrip
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 26, 2001
                                              the chunns wrote:

                                              > TC lost his battle with heart disease early yesterday morning.
                                              > He was a wonderful cat - came with our property when we bought our place 10
                                              > years ago.

                                              Hi Pat,
                                              I am so sorry that TC had to go on to this journey. It is a sad day but you did
                                              the right thing.
                                              You were lucky to have found each other. TC sounds like quite a character. ...and
                                              yes, I worry too about what the other side
                                              is going to be like when we get there. All these kitties wrecking the place with
                                              no parent supervision!
                                              Can you imagine?...

                                              Anyes, angel Lucie, Georgina and Angelica
                                            • brunobaby@earthlink.net
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 27, 2001
                                                Pat,

                                                Condolences on TC's passing. You gave each other a great life
                                                together.

                                                I'm glad you're staying on for a while.

                                                --Melinda
                                              • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 27, 2001
                                                  pat, i hope you'll stay with us for awhile....i would miss you and tc too
                                                  much otherwise...l

                                                  linda and the boys

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Feb 27, 2001
                                                    Dear Pat

                                                    I was so sorry to hear that TC had lost his battle yesterday, we may be thousands of miles apart but you are in our thoughts.

                                                    Take care

                                                    Pamela and Jasmin
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Feb 27, 2001
                                                      Anyes,

                                                      Thanks for thinking of us - and you bring up a good point - the other side
                                                      will no doubt be full of cat hair and claw marks - and would we have it
                                                      any other way?!

                                                      Pat

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Feb 27, 2001
                                                        Thanks, Pamela - your kind thoughts mean so much to me!

                                                        Pat
                                                        > I was so sorry to hear that TC had lost his battle yesterday, we may be
                                                        thousands of miles apart but you are in our thoughts.

                                                        > Take care
                                                        >
                                                        > Pamela and Jasmin

                                                      • the chunns
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Feb 28, 2001
                                                          Melinda,

                                                          Thank you for your condolences - it is just so heartwarming to know people
                                                          care so much when each little guy passes. I do want to stay with the group
                                                          as I have become attached to all the kitties and all you guardians are just
                                                          so very nice!