Re: My cat Patches

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2003
      Hi Heather,

      Sorry to hear about Patches.

      If she hasn't regained use of her leg, she should probably still be
      at the vet's. From what I've heard and seen at my own vet, they
      usually keep a cat on intravenous pain killers and some pretty
      powerful anti-clotting drugs for a few days, unless the cat regains
      use of the leg(s) earlier.

      I'm also surprised that an ultrasound of the heart wasn't
      recommended so that Patches can be put on the appropriate heart
      medication, since she was sent home. If she's already thrown a
      clot, putting her on only aspirin is not going to help much. She
      needs to be put onto heart medication appropriate to her heart's
      condition.

      Is there another vet in your town that might know more about
      treating cats with heart problems - the one you went to doesn't
      sound very knowledgeable in this area. You might want to get a
      second opinion from a vet with more experience in this area before
      making a decision to euthanize.

      Sarah.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "hdpepper2004"
      <hdpepper2004@y...> wrote:
      > Hi, I have an 8 year old calico cat. A few days ago I was awakened
      > my cats meow. She seemed to be in alot of pain and I could not
      > comfort her. I called her downstairs so I could take a better
      look
      > at her in the light. She fell down our stairs and I noticed that
      she
      > was dragging her right leg behind her. Afternot much sleep I
      called
      > the vet the following morning and took her in. She has a slight
      > heart murmur and was diagnosed with saddle thrombrosia(I think
      that
      > is right). Patches stayed overnight at the hospital for testing
      and
      > observation. She is now home with me I was told to give her
      asprin
      > every three days for the rest of her life to prevent future
      > clotting. Patches is not eating, not going to the bathroom and
      has
      > not really moved about much. I move her throughout the day to
      > different environments as she would do normally. I have food and
      > water dishes throughout my house. I am thinking of having her
      > euthanized only because I am so afraid she is in much pain and I
      > don't want that. Please if anyone has any suggestions please let
      me
      > know. I just want to do the right thing for her. Thanks Heather
      and
      > Patches
    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2003