My cat Patches

  • hdpepper2004
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2003
      Hi, I have an 8 year old calico cat. A few days ago I was awakened to
      my cats meow. She seemed to be in alot of pain and I could not
      comfort her. I called her downstairs so I could take a better look
      at her in the light. She fell down our stairs and I noticed that she
      was dragging her right leg behind her. Afternot much sleep I called
      the vet the following morning and took her in. She has a slight
      heart murmur and was diagnosed with saddle thrombrosia(I think that
      is right). Patches stayed overnight at the hospital for testing and
      observation. She is now home with me I was told to give her asprin
      every three days for the rest of her life to prevent future
      clotting. Patches is not eating, not going to the bathroom and has
      not really moved about much. I move her throughout the day to
      different environments as she would do normally. I have food and
      water dishes throughout my house. I am thinking of having her
      euthanized only because I am so afraid she is in much pain and I
      don't want that. Please if anyone has any suggestions please let me
      know. I just want to do the right thing for her. Thanks Heather and
      Patches
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2003
        Hi Heather,

        Sorry to hear about Patches.

        If she hasn't regained use of her leg, she should probably still be
        at the vet's. From what I've heard and seen at my own vet, they
        usually keep a cat on intravenous pain killers and some pretty
        powerful anti-clotting drugs for a few days, unless the cat regains
        use of the leg(s) earlier.

        I'm also surprised that an ultrasound of the heart wasn't
        recommended so that Patches can be put on the appropriate heart
        medication, since she was sent home. If she's already thrown a
        clot, putting her on only aspirin is not going to help much. She
        needs to be put onto heart medication appropriate to her heart's
        condition.

        Is there another vet in your town that might know more about
        treating cats with heart problems - the one you went to doesn't
        sound very knowledgeable in this area. You might want to get a
        second opinion from a vet with more experience in this area before
        making a decision to euthanize.

        Sarah.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "hdpepper2004"
        <hdpepper2004@y...> wrote:
        > Hi, I have an 8 year old calico cat. A few days ago I was awakened
        > my cats meow. She seemed to be in alot of pain and I could not
        > comfort her. I called her downstairs so I could take a better
        look
        > at her in the light. She fell down our stairs and I noticed that
        she
        > was dragging her right leg behind her. Afternot much sleep I
        called
        > the vet the following morning and took her in. She has a slight
        > heart murmur and was diagnosed with saddle thrombrosia(I think
        that
        > is right). Patches stayed overnight at the hospital for testing
        and
        > observation. She is now home with me I was told to give her
        asprin
        > every three days for the rest of her life to prevent future
        > clotting. Patches is not eating, not going to the bathroom and
        has
        > not really moved about much. I move her throughout the day to
        > different environments as she would do normally. I have food and
        > water dishes throughout my house. I am thinking of having her
        > euthanized only because I am so afraid she is in much pain and I
        > don't want that. Please if anyone has any suggestions please let
        me
        > know. I just want to do the right thing for her. Thanks Heather
        and
        > Patches
      • Jonathan Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2003