Re: [FH] Thromboembolization

  • peteycat9
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Sekiguchi
      <bermaguchi@c...> wrote:

      > Well, anyway, it seems to be the end of the road.
      > --
      >
      > Laurie Sekiguchi

      Dear Larie,
      What's going on with your kitty? Can you tell us about him/her?
      Petey
    • Laurie Sekiguchi
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
        At 12:06 AM +0000 12/4/03, peteycat9 wrote:

        >Dear Larie,
        > What's going on with your kitty? Can you tell us about him/her?
        >Petey

        Simba suddenly started panting the Monday before Thanksgiving. It was
        the first we knew he had a heart problem. The doctor treated him for
        CHF, I was giving him a small amount of aspirin in addition to Lasix
        and the other one for the heart (sorry, can't remember the name right
        now). Yesterday he was at the vet, and the vet said he was doing
        well. But today his hind legs gave out on him. He also started
        breathing very rapidly. I could hospitalize him, but it's all been so
        quick, I feel sure it's just a matter of time, and I'd rather he be
        home with us. I called a vet to come euthanize him, and she'll coming
        in an hour or so. I wish she could have come sooner.

        I don't know about other cats, but Simba absolutely does not
        understand the paralysis. He kept trying to jump up or jump down or
        go upstairs or go downstairs without the use of his hind legs. It
        just didn't register. I was staying close so that I could move him
        when he wanted to move, but then I thought perhaps he wanted to be
        alone, so I put him in a room with his food and water and litter and
        closed the door to keep him from hurting himself. The time goes very
        slowly. I wish I could have taken care of it more quickly.
        --

        Laurie Sekiguchi
      • Laurie Sekiguchi
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
          Simba has left us. The veterinarian who came to our house was
          wonderful. (If any of you are in the Maryland suburbs, her name is
          Deborah Weiss, and she's in the phone book. She just does house
          calls.) She said she thought Simba might be part Maine Coon, which I
          have always suspected, though I never realized what a liability it
          could be.

          I will sign off now. For anyone whose cat experiences this
          (thromboembolism), I recommend prompt euthasia, because the cat
          really is suffering--although that is of course up to the individual.
          I wish all of you and your kitties well.
          --

          Laurie Sekiguchi
        • peteycat9
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
            Dear Laurie,
            I am so sorry about Simba. It's a terrible shock to suddenly be
            faced with this disease. We didn't know our cat had a heart problem
            either until he crashed and we had to put him to sleep. I'm glad
            your vet was able to make his passing a peaceful experience. Maine
            Coon cats are just wonderful. Take care.
            Petey