Re: [FH] Thromboembolization

  • Laurie Sekiguchi
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003

      Well, anyway, it seems to be the end of the road.
      --

      Laurie Sekiguchi
    • peteycat9
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Sekiguchi
        <bermaguchi@c...> wrote:

        > Well, anyway, it seems to be the end of the road.
        > --
        >
        > Laurie Sekiguchi

        Dear Larie,
        What's going on with your kitty? Can you tell us about him/her?
        Petey
      • Laurie Sekiguchi
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
          At 12:06 AM +0000 12/4/03, peteycat9 wrote:

          >Dear Larie,
          > What's going on with your kitty? Can you tell us about him/her?
          >Petey

          Simba suddenly started panting the Monday before Thanksgiving. It was
          the first we knew he had a heart problem. The doctor treated him for
          CHF, I was giving him a small amount of aspirin in addition to Lasix
          and the other one for the heart (sorry, can't remember the name right
          now). Yesterday he was at the vet, and the vet said he was doing
          well. But today his hind legs gave out on him. He also started
          breathing very rapidly. I could hospitalize him, but it's all been so
          quick, I feel sure it's just a matter of time, and I'd rather he be
          home with us. I called a vet to come euthanize him, and she'll coming
          in an hour or so. I wish she could have come sooner.

          I don't know about other cats, but Simba absolutely does not
          understand the paralysis. He kept trying to jump up or jump down or
          go upstairs or go downstairs without the use of his hind legs. It
          just didn't register. I was staying close so that I could move him
          when he wanted to move, but then I thought perhaps he wanted to be
          alone, so I put him in a room with his food and water and litter and
          closed the door to keep him from hurting himself. The time goes very
          slowly. I wish I could have taken care of it more quickly.
          --

          Laurie Sekiguchi
        • Laurie Sekiguchi
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
            Simba has left us. The veterinarian who came to our house was
            wonderful. (If any of you are in the Maryland suburbs, her name is
            Deborah Weiss, and she's in the phone book. She just does house
            calls.) She said she thought Simba might be part Maine Coon, which I
            have always suspected, though I never realized what a liability it
            could be.

            I will sign off now. For anyone whose cat experiences this
            (thromboembolism), I recommend prompt euthasia, because the cat
            really is suffering--although that is of course up to the individual.
            I wish all of you and your kitties well.
            --

            Laurie Sekiguchi
          • peteycat9
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
              Dear Laurie,
              I am so sorry about Simba. It's a terrible shock to suddenly be
              faced with this disease. We didn't know our cat had a heart problem
              either until he crashed and we had to put him to sleep. I'm glad
              your vet was able to make his passing a peaceful experience. Maine
              Coon cats are just wonderful. Take care.
              Petey