Thromboembolization

  • Laurie Sekiguchi
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
      Does anyone have any experience with thromboembolization? How
      treatable is it, and how likely is it to reappear soon if even
      treated? Are there degrees (i.e., mild or severe). Is it always
      painful? How can you tell if your cat is in pain, anyway?
      --

      Laurie Sekiguchi
    • Laurie Sekiguchi
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003

        Well, anyway, it seems to be the end of the road.
        --

        Laurie Sekiguchi
      • peteycat9
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Sekiguchi
          <bermaguchi@c...> wrote:

          > Well, anyway, it seems to be the end of the road.
          > --
          >
          > Laurie Sekiguchi

          Dear Larie,
          What's going on with your kitty? Can you tell us about him/her?
          Petey
        • Laurie Sekiguchi
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
            At 12:06 AM +0000 12/4/03, peteycat9 wrote:

            >Dear Larie,
            > What's going on with your kitty? Can you tell us about him/her?
            >Petey

            Simba suddenly started panting the Monday before Thanksgiving. It was
            the first we knew he had a heart problem. The doctor treated him for
            CHF, I was giving him a small amount of aspirin in addition to Lasix
            and the other one for the heart (sorry, can't remember the name right
            now). Yesterday he was at the vet, and the vet said he was doing
            well. But today his hind legs gave out on him. He also started
            breathing very rapidly. I could hospitalize him, but it's all been so
            quick, I feel sure it's just a matter of time, and I'd rather he be
            home with us. I called a vet to come euthanize him, and she'll coming
            in an hour or so. I wish she could have come sooner.

            I don't know about other cats, but Simba absolutely does not
            understand the paralysis. He kept trying to jump up or jump down or
            go upstairs or go downstairs without the use of his hind legs. It
            just didn't register. I was staying close so that I could move him
            when he wanted to move, but then I thought perhaps he wanted to be
            alone, so I put him in a room with his food and water and litter and
            closed the door to keep him from hurting himself. The time goes very
            slowly. I wish I could have taken care of it more quickly.
            --

            Laurie Sekiguchi
          • Laurie Sekiguchi
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
              Simba has left us. The veterinarian who came to our house was
              wonderful. (If any of you are in the Maryland suburbs, her name is
              Deborah Weiss, and she's in the phone book. She just does house
              calls.) She said she thought Simba might be part Maine Coon, which I
              have always suspected, though I never realized what a liability it
              could be.

              I will sign off now. For anyone whose cat experiences this
              (thromboembolism), I recommend prompt euthasia, because the cat
              really is suffering--although that is of course up to the individual.
              I wish all of you and your kitties well.
              --

              Laurie Sekiguchi
            • peteycat9
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
                Dear Laurie,
                I am so sorry about Simba. It's a terrible shock to suddenly be
                faced with this disease. We didn't know our cat had a heart problem
                either until he crashed and we had to put him to sleep. I'm glad
                your vet was able to make his passing a peaceful experience. Maine
                Coon cats are just wonderful. Take care.
                Petey