Re: I'm new and feel very alone

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
      > Hi all,
      > I happened onto this site while endlessly searching. My lovely
      > almost 12 yeqar old cat was diagnosed with HCM 2 weeks ago and Im
      > real wreck. Hes on Lasix and Enalipril. The heart is doing well,
      > lungs are clear but his kidney values have increased from 50 to 58
      > and 3.75 to 4.85. Not too good. I feel as though Im damned if I
      do
      > and damned if I dont.

      Hi Susan,

      Sorry to hear about your cat. What dose of lasix is he on? Does
      your vet plan to taper off the lasix over time to find the lowest
      dose that your cat can be managed on? This is usually what is done.

      My cat Morag is also on lasix and her kidney values are elevated,
      but between the kidneys and the heart, you have to choose the
      heart. We worked hard to find the lowest dose of lasix she can get
      away with - it took time but in the end we found it. There are also
      other diuretics that can be tried that your cat might tolerate
      better if there isn't a dose of lasix that both keeps the lungs
      clear and keeps the kidney values within acceptable limits (though
      they might be elevated).

      Sarah.