Re: [FH] I'm new and feel very alone

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi Susan,

      In a message dated 12/2/03 5:51:44 PM, sueaholland2003@... writes:

      << The heart is doing well,

      lungs are clear but his kidney values have increased from 50 to 58

      and 3.75 to 4.85. >>

      You mean the BUN and creatinine, right? How are other related values, such as
      potassium, phosphorus, calcium, and sodium? Has the urine been tested? Any
      sign of infection or other abnormalities? What's the urine specific gravity?

      << either the heart or kidneys will kill him. >>

      Balancing heart and kidneys is difficult, this is true. But it is possible to
      do it...and to provide quality of life.

      << He had to

      have an enema because he gets really constipated >>

      Oh? What does the cat eat (brand, flavor, canned or dry)?

      Is he dehydrated? Does the cat have megacolon?

      What other options have you considered in managing bowel health besides enema?

      << Im bringing him to a Chinese Herbalist to see what could be offered

      to help him. >>

      Do you mean a practitioner who treats humans with Chinese herbs alone? Or do
      you mean a vet who practices Traditional Chinese Medicine, incl herbs? It may
      be a good idea to work with a vet who is trained and experienced in treating
      animals with complementary techniques, whether Traditional Chinese Medicine or
      other. For a directory, see: www.ahvma.org/referral/index.html.

      << Has anyone else used chinese herbs? >>

      Often, for a variety of issues. Our cat has also been treated with
      acupuncture, homeopathy, Western herbs, glandulars, NAET, Jaffe-Mellor, nutraceuticals,
      chiropractic, and a few other techniques. There is a vast world of healing
      techniques beyond conventional Western medicine...and there are a few vets who
      are skilled and experienced in various modalities.

      << Im so exhausted and alone. >>

      I'm sorry to hear that. What do you need help with in the short term? //
      Rosemary
    • Catalyn
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2003
        Hi Susan, sorry you need to be here, but glad you found us. I just wanted to suggest, if you haven't already, that you join a couple of the lists for cats with kidney failure. The ones I'd suggest are CRF Support, and Holistic Alternative for CRF, since you're looking into Chinese herbs. I've added links to these lists below.

        Love... Cata and OJ

        Do not say, "I follow the one true path of the Spirit", but rather, "I have found the Spirit walking on my path", for the Spirit walks on all paths. ~~ Kahlil Gabran